General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deft
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 18:25:35
Print Post

Self-install with Zen, any recommended prep?

[link to this post]

So my cabinet is now FTTC ready and I have ordered "Unlimited Fibre 2" with Zen. BT broadband availability checker states;

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 68 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 61.3 20 19 -- Available

I've read a few bits and bobs and am starting to worry about the extension wiring in my house. What I am presuming is the master socket by my front door looks like this;
http://1drv.ms/1D6fkSE
There are three further extension points dotted around the house. I am currently running my ADSL2+ modem / router connection from one of the extension points in my "home office" as there is no power near the master socket (and the extension point is near my PCs for ethernet from router to one of them). I use an ASUS DSL-N55U (recommended on here I think!) for this and although I don't really use the features it has been stable with a good wireless signal throughout the house, so am happy with it. The ADSL2+ line stats are as follows;

Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
SNR Up : 9.5
SNR Down : 6.0
Line Attenuation Up : 7.1
Line Attenuation Down : 18.0
Data Rate Up : 1020
Data Rate Down : 20005

I read that FTTC might be a bit more finnicky with extensions and suchlike, but am reassuring myself that the ADSL2+ stats seem decent enough so that might mean it is a good starting point at least?
Zen are supplying the Technicolor TG589vn for me to use and I suppose my ASUS become redundant.

Anything worth doing before end of next week when I go live, or just try it temporarily in the master and on an extension to see if there is much difference? I remember something about removing the faceplate to get to the test socket but I haven't gone that far yet (and it looks kind of old!).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Jul-15 18:39:44
Print Post

Re: Self-install with Zen, any recommended prep?

[re: Deft] [link to this post]

Depends on how the extensions are wired, if star wired even though you have good ADSL2+ stats the very different frequencies can result in a significant impact. i.e. around the 60 Meg mark than 76 Meg mark.

Cannot recall as its end of the day, but if Zen is still an engineer install they should convert that master socket to a NTE5A and leave a VDSL2 faceplate e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Your master socket looks too old to have a test socket.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deft
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 19:44:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's marked as a self install, there didn't seem to be any option during ordering for an engineer visit. To be honest I could probably live with a 15meg hit on the downstream. I'm more worried about it being really variable or dropping etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 19:47:38
Print Post

That master socket is dated, you really should have one of these fitted
Genuine BT NTE5
And then you could fit one of these
VDSL MK3 Interstitial Faceplate

Which most likely what a BT engineer would fit if a managed install
Those two items and a data extension kit had you requested one at time of order , (managed install)So you could site the modem upto iirc 30mtrs away from the master socket ,
Standard User AdrianPH
(learned) Tue 28-Jul-15 19:49:33
Print Post

Phone Zen first thing tomorrow and tell them about the old wiring.

Engineer installs are available.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 19:50:09
Print Post

Well if your internal wiring is not up to the job ie star wired ect, then you could see a more severe impact if it causes a lot of errors /disconnects as DLM with cripple it, , throughput & latency could also be affected
I would ask Zen for an engineer install and a data extension kit ,if power outlets are an issue,

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 28-Jul-15 19:52:42)

Standard User Deft
(committed) Tue 28-Jul-15 20:24:48
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Seems like an engineer install is probably a better option. However, even with a data extension I don't see a nice clean / tidy route to any power sockets.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 20:49:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deft:
Seems like an engineer install is probably a better option. However, even with a data extension I don't see a nice clean / tidy route to any power sockets.

The only other option would be to request the engineer also relocate the master socket, running the cable outside the building but this would be chargeable on top of FTTC install ,where as the Data extension kit is Fee

Unless you opted to install an additional power outlet nearer to the master socket, but would be a lot more work

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 28-Jul-15 20:54:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jul-15 21:18:00
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The data extension can be run externally, at the engineer's discretion, using van stock suitable cable. No extra charge except the cost of the tea/coffee and biscuits.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-15 22:19:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The data extension can be run externally, at the engineer's discretion, using van stock suitable cable. No extra charge except the cost of the tea/coffee and biscuits.
But not something that the OP should rely up on, As some engineers just don't have the time to be faffing around doing any more than basic install tasks, and then you have those kelly's and quinns engineers, would you really want them installing your VDSL service let alone modifying wiring ,?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to