General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-15 09:50:05
Print Post

HG612 - head scratching.

[link to this post]

So I decided to get hold of a HG612 to replace the Business Hub as I have my own Wireless set up.

The modem has been reset and if I use Lan 2 I can get into the HG612 on the default IP address. It's got SP10 firmware on there at the moment (although may put on the SP08 as recommended by some.

However.. the router address on Lan 1 is reporting as 172.16.12.10 for some reason. (Thats despite making sure the IP address is showing as 192 .. etc )

Any ideas ?

Regards PGre
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 03-Aug-15 10:30:57
Print Post

Re: HG612 - head scratching.

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

What range have you set your router to operate on?

Private IPs can be 192.168.xx.xx 172.16.xx.xx 10.xx.xx.xx Most equipment pushed at te domestic/residential market is preset to 192.168. although Thomson originally used 172.16. and other 10.0.

Go and check the ranges you have set in the router - then decide if that is what you want or change it, then set the modem to match.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Aug-15 14:30:15
Print Post

I think if you look at the unlocked firmware you will see it is version 28SP10. The latest is 30SP08. The older one doesn't support G.INP, the latest one does.

The IP address of LAN1 doesn't really matter, it doesn't need to be on the router's subnet. The IP address on LAN2 I would expect to be allocated by the router, unless you (sensibly) give it a static one on the router's subnet and exclude it from the router's allocatable range.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 03-Aug-15 14:34:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-15 14:35:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Well at this point my routers not the issue as far as I can see (I run my internal network on 10.x though)

Not sure if I wasn't clear, but the HG612 appears to be serving its IP address as the 172.16.12.xx one even though in the set up I told it to got to 192.xx etc

So I am trying to figure out why the HG612 would ignore the settings I have told it to use. DHCP is off, so to be honest I was expecting it to have the IP address that I set it to have.. and not some seemingly random one.

Regards PGre
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Aug-15 14:39:12
Print Post

Hang on. You are on 10.x, HG612 LAN1 is 172,16.x and HG612 LAN2 is 192.x?

Hmmm.

You do still have the HG612 in bridge mode I hope?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 03-Aug-15 14:47:58
Print Post

Have you set the address on the HG612 - Login, Basic, LAN, LAN host Setting, Submit.

Where are you seeing the 172.16.12.xx address? Is it visible on any of the HG612 pages?

I have a thought - which may be a total red herring and don't want to say anything yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:55:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I am using an Airport Extreme (Connecting via PPPoE) as my router and Airport Utility which is showing the IP address of the router as the 172.16.xx

But I did set the address of the HG612 in the LAN host setting and its in there ok.. when I go back and look its still there. When I connect to the HG612 via Lan 2 then I can access the 192.168.xx default ok.

When I change my NIC to 172.16.xx address I can't access the modem so something seems a little strange.

I still get internet access ok.. but its vexing me as to why it should even show a 172.16 address to the Airport Extreme

Regards PGre
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Mon 03-Aug-15 16:58:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yep.. as per my other reply yes its in Bridge mode or I'd be having problems... smile
There's no other setting for LAN1's IP address though is there ? Have I missed something ?

This shouldn't be hacked firmware either.. I hadn't got that far yet !
I'll check the full firmware version but its an SP10 for sure although I know 08 is the later released one.

Regards PGre
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Mon 03-Aug-15 17:29:43
Print Post

It shouldn't be giving / showing any address on LAN1 if it's set as bridge mode... weird!
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 03-Aug-15 17:39:44
Print Post

If the firmware wasn't hacked, you wouldn't be able to access LAN2 as it would be firewalled.
The address on LAN1 shouldn't matter.

Sounds like you have a half-hacked HG612. I recommend you apply the B030SP08 firmware and then set it up properly.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to