General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Wed 05-Aug-15 11:33:54
Print Post

How long for a cabinet to appear as accepting orders?

[link to this post]

Northern Powergrid finished connecting power up to our cabinet (Wylam P2) on Monday. As far as I know, the other aspects (cabinet pairing and fibre backbone) were both completed in March so therefore I assume everything is ready for the cabinet to be activated?

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for BT to get everything switched on once all the work is completed?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Aug-15 12:01:51
Print Post

Re: How long for a cabinet to appear as accepting orders?

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

If everything else including fibre and copper pairs are connected then a couple of weeks to let hardware run and test its not about to be an early life failure, i.e. electronics survived journey from factory.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 05-Aug-15 12:03:28
Print Post

I think you may find the answers range from.. weeks, to months and in some rare cases years. (not meaning to upset your day of course!)

Power is often a challenge so if thats done and everything else is in place in terms of fibre connection back to the exchange etc then hopefully it won't be too long for you... but.. as others may also share, don't celebrate till you can order it would be my advice.

Regards PGre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keith969
(newbie) Wed 05-Aug-15 12:33:14
Print Post

Between the cabinets being installed and wired up to orders being accepted took about 3 months where I am.
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Wed 05-Aug-15 18:50:12
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Took about a month here, from cab completion (electrics, fibre and tie pairs done) to a live cab.

@ OP, set up a BT wholesale 'checker', it'll save you from going mad every day randomly checking it in anticipation

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4410118-w...

Edited by digitalis (Wed 05-Aug-15 18:51:30)

Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Wed 05-Aug-15 19:35:08
Print Post

[re: digitalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by digitalis:
Took about a month here, from cab completion (electrics, fibre and tie pairs done) to a live cab.

@ OP, set up a BT wholesale 'checker', it'll save you from going mad every day randomly checking it in anticipation

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4410118-w...

Thanks, I have a checker up already - annoyingly it seems to trigger once or twice a day for something silly like "The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014." which randomly appears and disappears every time I reload the page.

Hopefully it shouldn't be too long then, fingers crossed.

Hoping the speeds are decent seeing as we're a rather lengthy 1.5km from the cab, although I've got good reason to suspect we've got decently thick copper D-side. Should be better than 6Mbps anyway.
Standard User simon194
(experienced) Wed 05-Aug-15 19:45:18
Print Post

One round my was about 10 months because it failed an earth test and it took 6 months before it was sorted out. They ended up replacing the entire cabinet.
Standard User digitalis
(newbie) Thu 06-Aug-15 07:44:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Toonshorty:
Thanks, I have a checker up already - annoyingly it seems to trigger once or twice a day for something silly like "The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014." which randomly appears and disappears every time I reload the page.

I had that, and got around it by putting "FTTC" in the line filter/keywords list, so it'll only trigger with the addition of FTTC text.
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Mon 10-Aug-15 12:13:57
Print Post

iNorthumberland have got back to me and iterated much of what has been posted here in that it should be a couple of weeks.

John is currently on leave so has asked me to pick this up in his absence. All the info you’ve mentioned sounds correct. We’re waiting on an update on the cabinet ourselves but it has appeared on our expected list. This means I’d expect it in the next couple of weeks presuming we have no issues to delay.

Sorry I can’t be more specific at this stage, but it shouldn’t be too much longer assuming Openreach’s testing runs smoothly.

Hopefully not too far away then.
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Tue 11-Aug-15 18:11:18
Print Post

Wylam 2 - URGENT HIGH EARTH - Extra earth rods required due to dangerous high earth reading.

Looks like this may get delayed a little while then.

From roadworks.org, work to take place from 11th to 13th Aug apparently.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to