General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chesternutz
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-15 10:28:52
Print Post

Plusnet Fibre install 11th Aug

[link to this post]

Hi

Due to have Fibre installed Aug 11th
have ordered ext kit
currently have mstr socket in lounge but as disabled spend most time in bedroom
have router in lounge into mstr socket and wifi extender plug in hall outside bedroom.
grt speeds but connx drop in lounge lows speed and connx drop bedroom hence y upgrading for btr speed and stability.

My query is regarding ext kit
im thinking of having ext added to bedroom for router. If it doesnt work will use router as b4 direct into mstr socket in lounge

However.
my flat is small grd floor. Has central hall running up middle with rooms off either side.
so if you can imagine
lounge is off to the right at the end of short hallway
bedroom is on the left and start of hallway.

My question is
if i ask engineer to fit ext kit to bedroom (less than 30m in length easily)
Will he
A. Put cabling over skirts
B. Over doorframes
C. Through internal walls
D. Over ceilings

My ideal route as effectively the cable has to jump over hall right to left
So leave mstr socket in lounge follow skirt to exit doorway to hall. Up over door drilled thru wall. Over kitchen doorway run along right to left to jump hall. Run top of door frames to bedroom doorframe. Run down to base of doorframe drill through wall into ext socket in bedroom. Fit router.

Alternatively

From lounge mstr socket along skirt to exit doorframe. Drill thru wall to hall. Up to top of doorfram run along hallway to oppsite bedroom doorframe. Run over ceiling and down befroom doorframe. Drill thru wall to bedroom ext socket

I DONT WANT IT UNDER CARPETS AS DONT WANT CARPETS LIFTED TO ACCOM.

Therfore is this possible??

Can try and upload pics or diag if needed.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Aug-15 10:32:58
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre install 11th Aug

[re: chesternutz] [link to this post]

With extension kit you get a socket at the extension for the modem and the usual VDSL2 faceplate at the master, so yes modem will work at either.

A, B and C are pretty usual, using a ceiling is rare and possibly avoided due to the risk of cable dropping.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chesternutz
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-15 12:09:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi if tacked tight to the ceiling though could this be possible as trying to avoid door frames, disabled alarm wiring, additional fusebox wiring and bathroom shower and pump wiring all located on left side of hallway.

Therefore using rightside is easier less conflicting for interference and jump accross via ceiling would be straightforward.

Thx

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Aug-15 12:13:08
Print Post

Will need one of those that know the rules engineers work to, personally if it was me installing would take the longer route around skirting board rather than across a ceiling

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Aug-15 14:42:49
Print Post

Have you ordered the extension kit? as they are a separate order if you haven't or should plusnet fail to place the order for one( as they have done so on several occasions) the engineer wont be able to install it, as they won't have the allocated time slots and may not even have one on the van

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 08-Aug-15 15:38:52)

Standard User btbert
(committed) Sat 08-Aug-15 19:00:30
Print Post

A , B , C are all ok .

If by ceiling you mean tight in corner between wall and ceiling thats ok ish, not the best but have seen lots of it and done some of it .

If by ceiling you been right across the open ceiling ( as is open ceiling both sides of the cable ) thats a no go .

PS under carpets ( as in crossing a hall way ) is a no go , hope this helps .

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
  Print Thread

Jump to