General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User john014
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-15 15:17:42
Print Post

Vodafone Connect - G.INP Support?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Im looking into switching my BT Infinity option 2 over to the equivalent of Vodafone Connect, as a Vodafone Customer already, in an attempt to swerve BT's rising costs and also save myself some money.

however i have one question before i dive in head first, would G.INP be disabled on my line after the switch? does vodafones network support this? i understand that its essentially a DLM integrated technology, It currently nets me an extra 12mb on the d/s sync and i'd rather not loose that.

I have called their connect helpdesk, who didnt know what it was when i mentioned "g.INP and PhyR" terms, who then put me on old, only to come back and try to explain to me what G.INP was. they said they didnt support it, however this can mean many things, i.e it will work but we wont support any problems with it"

anyone can help clear this up?

ta
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 13-Aug-15 16:03:38
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Connect - G.INP Support?

[re: john014] [link to this post]

G.INP is between the cabinet and the modem. Openreach owns the cabinet and you own the modem. If Vodafone give you a modem which doesn't support G.INP, it will be turned off. If your DLM profile is reset as a result of your move, then G.INP may well be turned off. If your modem supports G.INP it will be turned back on after a while.
Standard User john014
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-15 17:49:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi Batboy,

Thanks for your reply. my current setup is a webgui unlocked HG612 so i was planning on reconfiguring it for Voda and not even opening their router ;p

I also know plusnet support g.inp which i believe are another unbundled network selling the same products, so i suppose ill just have to take the chance and cross my fingers!

Thanks again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Aug-15 17:59:03
Print Post

Unbundled or NOT for FTTC products the DSLAM i.e. fibre cabinet is identical since they all use the Openreach hardware for the VDSL2 signal in the street.

PlusNet is actually via BT Wholesale which can be called SMPF LLU, which means by that measure even Infinity is LLU.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john014
(newbie) Thu 13-Aug-15 18:10:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffron,

Thanks for the clarification on this, i suppose i was thinking of old ADSL LLU services. this has eased my mind a lot.

thanks batboy and MrSaffron, I am a long time lurker on these forums and i know you both know your shizzle, hence why i asked my question here

cheers smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Aug-15 19:02:40
Print Post

People used to dream of sheep I now dream of green street cabinets and fibre splitter nodes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Aug-15 11:55:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Traditionally, they're known as nightmares, not dreams wink
  Print Thread

Jump to