General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SCoomby
(newbie) Mon 17-Aug-15 14:01:34
Print Post

Fibre activation date keeps moving. Now 3 years waiting

[link to this post]

Hi

I have been browsing these forums for the last couple of months, especially with regards to fibre activation dates.

The reason why I am posting this message is that I have learned last week that my fibre activation date has been moved yet again. The original estimate was late 2013/early 2014. This date passed and was then moved to end of 2014. This date also passed and moved to end of 2015. The activation date has now just been moved to end of 2016/ early 2017. What is going on here?

This is really frustrating for the following reasons:
1. The activation date estimate just keeps moving. It is now showing 3 years after the original estimate. Will I ever get fibre?
2. I have no option to go with Cable (Virgin). This means no competition so why the delay?
3. Ringing BT doesn't help (they only provide the information that I can get myself online).
4. I can't contact Openreach to find out what is going on (according to BT).
5. My cabinet (SSPOR 29) was installed a year ago and there has been activity at this cabinet several times over the last year.
6. Both my Father and Sister have had fibre for the last couple of years and they are in the same town (Portishead). Even some of nearby friends have it in the same area.

Is there anyway to find out what is going on with this cabinet?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 18-Aug-15 07:39:37
Print Post

Re: Fibre activation date keeps moving. Now 3 years waiting

[re: SCoomby] [link to this post]

I think your delay is possibly down to it being a commercial project and are put on a less priority over BDUK work, this is due to BDUK work have a dead like on the contract that need to be reached, however Commercial work have no deadline so they seem to get put on hold in favour for the BDUK work.

*** Start Rage ***
We are in that same boat where as we was suppose to of got FTTP back end of 2011 where they installed all our hardware etc, they fibered up the top part of our road and half our side roads back then.

There is also FTTP available 4 doors down from us which is connected to our pole and hardware, yet I am told that its not ready, and we also keep getting pushed back from start of July where I was told we could order fibre, then was told due to loads of work still to do it was pushed back to end of July, was told the same thing again about loads of work still to be done and was then told end of August.

I was told by openreach themselves that they cannot tell me what work still needs to be done due to them not being technical enough, I think the reason why they cannot tell me is due to its all completed and has been for a while now, even all the engineers that was sent to work on it last month also says its all done and just waiting for the database to be updated.
Come on BTOR, it doesn't take a month to update your database.

And to top that off, liker I said there a home 4 doors from me that is on out pole that can get FTTP hence the fibre cable coming from our Fibre Manifold up our pole, so our fibre is live for them to get fibre.

TBH, I have a very bad feeling that us remaining commercial projects will end up being part of the last 5 to 7% or worse be put on the last 2% saying sorry no fibre.
*** End Rage ***

Just took a look and your cabinet was down to get fibre back in 2010 - 2011 as phase 4a, we was down for end of 2011 as phase 05b and we still not able to order fibre even though the work has been done.

We also have no access to VM and was told after several months of being told "Don't worry, your area is on their to-do list and are part of the east London project", that we are not part of that project and never was and won't be even 5 to 10 years time.

I can PM you a working openreach contact email if you want, I use the email, so it does work.

Paul
Standard User SCoomby
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 08:18:11
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I sometimes think that the reason that we do not have fibre yet is that we don't have someone of political importance connected to the cabinet!!! I agree that BDUK work could be causing the delay but how can we tell for sure? I still don't get it as Portishead is one of the largest towns (22k population) in the Bristol area and yet it still doesn't have full fibre coverage. No cable coverage either so no competition for BT.

If you could e-mail the working openreach contact e-mail that would be much appreciated.

Good luck in you finally getting your fibre at the end of this month.

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Tue 18-Aug-15 08:22:44
Print Post

think there were extensive additional costs with the copper cabinet probably requiring a deload/reload or major rebuild (there would have been no budget in the commercial case for that as part of the commercial build assessment (high cost commercial cabs likley to get stuck / or in some cases removed from programme -- data suggest cab should e live within the next month as all physical work now done -- suggest keep an eye using the BT Wholesale DSL checker on a weekly basis as that is most reliable source
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 08:24:50
Print Post

Cities don't have full fibre coverage yet either

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SCoomby
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 08:37:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We are at nearly 85% fibre coverage in the UK and yet some cities do not have full fibre coverage? This is crazy.
Standard User SCoomby
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 08:38:55
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information. If my cabinet is nearly ready, why did they add over another year to the estimated activation date!!!
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 18-Aug-15 08:55:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by SCoomby:
If you could e-mail the working openreach contact e-mail that would be much appreciated.
PM Sent.
In reply to a post by SCoomby:
Good luck in you finally getting your fibre at the end of this month.
Don't know if it will happen yet, already been pushed back twice and there has been no major work done this month, So I am assuming another fob off, I mean delay.

Well if still no joy end of this month, I will be emailing and phoning my local MP again.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:38:55
Print Post

Because rural campaigners have made their case better than people in cities, where invariably business has options available for a fee, consumers likely to have reasonable 4G

If you actually look on http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local you will find cities that are already past the 95% target

If Openreach is missing out on areas then there is a niche that offers should be able to fulfil, but talking to some problems like permission to cross junctions can mean waiting for a long time, and all the planning meetings just add to the costs, plus building landlords are not always receptive to things like hosting kit without seeing the big annual way leave fees

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 09:40:05
Print Post

Because of previous cases where they tried to give shorter dates but in some cases things changed and dates moved and people complained, so result is work out how long it will take and then add a massive safety margin a lot of the time

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to