General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User alext05
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-15 14:03:49
Print Post

BT Openreach defends broadband rollout

[link to this post]

Openreach's chief executive Joe Garner speaks to BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33957405
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Aug-15 16:32:54
Print Post

Re: BT Openreach defends broadband rollout

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Part of the problem is putting ex-West Indian fast bowlers in charge of a telecoms roll-out ... tongue

More seriously I also listened to Dido Harding's interview on Saturday(starts at 29:26), anybody who has had problems with copper lines(to know copper is to hate copper) will sympathise with her comments on FTTP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Aug-15 16:42:18
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I am just waiting for TalkTalk UFO to cover some residential properties and will add it to the coverage checkers.

The TalkTalk ambition of 10 million FTTP homes is interesting, but will get excited once I see it being trenched in in significant numbers.

For rural people though the TalkTalk stuff is just a distracting sideshow, they are not going to be doing real rural at all. Gigaclear is a different matter but even then they prefer certain types of villages rather than very dispersed collections of properties

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AL66
(newbie) Mon 17-Aug-15 19:06:01
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Re Dido Harding's comments about FTTP - great pity she wasn't pulled up on the fact that (like most others including Sky) Talk Talk won't provide to those rare areas where the evil Openreach has made FTTP available. I've heard the bizarre argument this is because of the Openreach branded hardware - is that not a bit like one of the train operators trying to deny the existence of Network Rail? Perhaps a further argument for removing Openreach from BT.
Standard User partial
(committed) Mon 17-Aug-15 21:42:31
Print Post

[re: AL66] [link to this post]

TalkTalk and Sky were late to the party on FTTC then, just as they don't provide FTTP now. It's all about cheap access to Openreach copper and sweating their existing assets.

It is perverse that Openreach have rolled out a full fibre network to the home in many areas yet have to run and maintain a parallel copper network for TalkTalk and Sky.

Edited by partial (Mon 17-Aug-15 21:47:04)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 17-Aug-15 22:08:33
Print Post

Re: BT Openreach defends broadband rollout - was I dreaming?

[re: alext05] [link to this post]

Was I dreaming or did I hear someone say that the Ukraine has more FTTP connections than the UK?

Michael Chare
Standard User AL66
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 00:16:13
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

From the wholesale point of view are not GEA FTTC and (native) GEA FTTP exactly the same price? There's no technical reason they can't use it - and they should to have any credibility in their argument.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 00:48:32
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Believe it does helped by large amounts of ethernet apartment roll outs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-15 00:55:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I am just waiting for TalkTalk UFO to cover some residential properties and will add it to the coverage checkers.

I drove past that estate at the weekend. Must go back with a camera...

It'll be interesting to see how they've gone about it.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 18-Aug-15 01:24:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, lots of apartment blocks would make FTTP cheaper to install.

I found that there is a Fibre to the Home Council Europe who have published a report showing that Britain and Germany have relatively few FTTP connections.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to