General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User whisper
(learned) Mon 17-Aug-15 20:31:49
Print Post

Kelly FTTC install

[link to this post]

Been waiting most of the afternoon for the engineer to come and install our fttc connection. When he finally arrived he told us that he was only a telephone engineer and knew nothing about broadband. Great! He was from Kelly's. He was at our house for barely 20 mins, complained about other jobs he had to do before going home. I mentioned that we had star wiring which was in the loft and that none of the sockets downstairs appeared to be a master? He said he wasn't insured to go in anyone's loft, didn't have time to inspect any wiring, and wouldn't disconnect the extension wiring. In short he did very little. He changed the socket in the lounge to an NT5E socket and that was that. I thought that the master socket should have an NTE5 fitted? None of our three sockets appear to be a master. Told me that the speeds we were getting were 40 down and 10 up. Yeah, right. We are 1.34km (under a mile) from the cabinet, there is no way we would get anywhere that speed. I said that was wrong and he said that was what his equipment said. I asked what the SNR and attenuation were and he said what's that! Our speed is 4.7mbs down and 1.15mbs up. We connected at over 7mbs with Max adsl and downloaded at over 6! I am pretty sure that our fttc speed should be better than what we are currently getting.

Phoned Zen who will arrange for another engineer to come out, hopefully a broadband engineer this time. Am I being unreasonable here? I expected a broadband engineer and someone who understood and knew what they were doing. Think I have worn my poor hubby's ears out.

Anyone else had this problem? What happened? Any help/advice much appreciated. Regards, Marie.
Standard User Storm_Force
(regular) Mon 17-Aug-15 21:12:30
Print Post

Re: Kelly FTTC install

[re: whisper] [link to this post]

Kelly's messed up my parents install and left them without a voice service after changing an extension socket which I had ran off the master socket years ago to the bedroom and changed that to the master the old master was then disconnected (which has the house phone connected to it!)

Rang BT and an openreach guy turned up first thing the next morning to sort it out!
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-15 23:18:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by whisper:
Phoned Zen who will arrange for another engineer to come out, hopefully a broadband engineer this time. Am I being unreasonable here? I expected a broadband engineer and someone who understood and knew what they were doing. Think I have worn my poor hubby's ears out.

Anyone else had this problem? What happened? Any help/advice much appreciated. Regards, Marie.

In theory, it shouldn't matter if it's Kelly on behalf of Openreach, or Openreach direct. Sadly in practice it does often matter, as a lot of the Kelly engineers are plain lazy, whilst others are just disincentivised to care - mostly because they are given pretty pathetic earnings as I understand it and thus anything tricky (eg. time consuming) won't happen.

Either way, it's not your problem... and you're not being unreasonable. Call your ISP (Zen as you suggested I guess), and it's down to them to speak to Openreach and sort.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Aug-15 23:35:35
Print Post

Kelly engineers are useless... specially in situations where there is more than just a master socket...

I had one once, I could actually see that he was confused by the setup which was simply... Master socket with another cable going out to extension and another cable already tapped together to pass though another phoneline...

All he had to do was replace older NTE5 with newer one... and then he put the ring wire (which was never wired in the first place) into 5 where one of the blues should of been...

I told him to just leave the extensions, and I would do it... he then chuckled and said you won't have the right tool and then had a look of despair when I drop a tool bag in from of him full of different cables, connectors and all the relevance tools and testers...

and then accused me of having a stolen toner set... but then gave up on that quickly when I pointed out that it wasn't marked by BT or anyone else and also asked who his belonged too... knowing that it would say BT and not Kelly!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Aug-15 00:23:46
Print Post

That's a completely duff installation frown.

Didn't Zen give you an estimate at the time you ordered?

Put your phone number into this checker anyway, and copy/paste the FTTC A and FTTC B lines. We don't need a picture.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 00:46:25
Print Post

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

Yeap get back onto zen and be polite but moan alas kelly's are known for being less than perfect worry for those who want faster rollout is they would be used even more.

If zen hit a stonewall can moan to openreach direct

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User whisper
(learned) Tue 18-Aug-15 01:56:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS, thanks for your reply.

The estimate from Zen was up to 9mbps (impacted).

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 15.5 9.2 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 11.7 3.8 1.2 0.5 -- Available

I was hoping the download would be around 10 but would be happy with anything above the 7.3 mbps sync speed of Max ADSL. Currently the download speed has dropped to 3.7 Mbps but the upload is 1.2 Mbps. Not being able to see any of the modem stats is a real pain.

What I don't understand is if the download speed is impacted why isn't the upload speed, doesn't make sense to me.
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:12:35
Print Post

I think when Openreach remove the star wiring you should see close to the estimated speed. The star wiring can have a huge effect on the speed and Kelly's are absolutely supposed to be removing it.

A good Openreach engineer should also be reporting the Kelly's guy, they basically take some pictures and then the Kelly's guy gets the £25 taken back off him. Hopefully that should incentivise him not to do it again! One would hope anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Aug-15 11:46:17
Print Post

Needs someone to remove the star wiring, only then will you stand a chance of seeing better speeds, VDSL2 is a lot more sensitive to those wiring issues. If ISP cannot get things moving then email me and will see if someone can be prodded into action.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User whisper
(learned) Tue 18-Aug-15 13:04:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron, will do. I spoke to Zen this morning and they have raised this as a fault. They will ring me when they have a date for the engineer to come, which will hopefully be soon. Regards, Marie.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to