General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Asymmetric
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 21:21:16
Print Post

Problems with Bt wholesale/Openreach

[link to this post]

Hoping you guys can help me out!

my ISP cannot confirm whether I can get fibre broadband at my property. My ISP have been back and forth with Bt wholesale for 6 weeks now. My ISP are saying that my phoneline doesnt show any data. If I put my number into dslchecker.Bt.com the only thingsthat come up is Wbc fixed rate with download of 1mb and upload is blank. If I use the address checker on the same website I get Fttc up to 80mbps. Both searches show that my exchange is Kenilworth and I am served by cabinet 12. Which is correct as I walk past the cabinet! My neighbour who comes up as using the same cabinet has Bt infinity and gets 10x the speed I get on Adsl.

My ISP is at a loss, what can I do to get the answers I want.

Apologies if I have not provided enough information, although I know a bit about technology - Fttc is new to me!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Aug-15 21:25:59
Print Post

Re: Problems with Bt wholesale/Openreach

[re: Asymmetric] [link to this post]

Are you with Sky, or TalkTalk/one of their resellers? Did they install the line?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Asymmetric
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 21:28:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Zen Internet. I have Adsl with them at the moment. Broadband and phone line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Aug-15 21:36:21
Print Post

This probably won't get us anywhere, but what does the Address option give? Is it the same as the phone number does?

Is it possible that at some point your house was the "Show House" for a new estate?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User Asymmetric
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 21:50:49
Print Post

The results are different, the Address checker is more favourable. If I used my postcode only on BT it says I can get fibre, if I use my phone number I cannot.

If I use my phone number dslchecker.bt.com provides the following:

Featured Products:

WBC Fixed rate : 1mb downstream upstream is blank

Fixed Rate : 1mb downstream. upstream is blank

Other Offerings:
Copper Multicast

Is I use the address checker I get the following:

Featured Products:

FTTC Range A (Clean) : 80mb upstream (high) 66mb low

WBC ADSL2+ : up to 3mb

WBC ADSL2+ Annex M

ADSL Max: up to 3mb

WBC Fixed rate: 1mb

Other Offerings:

FTTP on demand: 330mb

Fibre multicast

Both the Phone and address searches say I am on the KENILWORTH EXCHANGE and served by Cabinet 12.

I hope that is what you meant.

I doubt that my house was the show house, it is a smaller property. The estate is about 20 years old
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-15 22:29:47
Print Post

how far away is your neighbour? is it next door to u?
Standard User Asymmetric
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 22:46:20
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

My neighbour is less than 25ft away door to door. They can get fibre and we are connected to the same cabinet. (according to the website I have quoted)
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Aug-15 23:14:04
Print Post

Your best place to ask MrSaffron to contact BT Wholesale for you as it could be missing from the address book for FTTC available.

Edited by adslmax (Tue 18-Aug-15 23:14:40)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Aug-15 23:39:46
Print Post

The reason for asking about the Show House was that it can sometimes have a different line source than the rest, being installed before the cabinet serving the rest existed. Then when the cab is built all addresses get put on it. But that first line's connection doesn't actually get physically moved.

I think adslmax has the best idea. MrSaffron may be able to find out something through contacts, rather than the official channels Zen have to use.

As a final experiment, if in the Address option you just put the postcode and submit, it gives you a drop-down of all addresses with that postcode. It may be worth checking a few others. You can check one after the other using the browser back-arrow.

Standard User Pauli1
(learned) Fri 21-Aug-15 12:05:43
Print Post

I sympathise, and you might have a bit of a battle on your hands.
My situation took 6 months to get sorted and I had to go after everyone to get a resolution.
Firstly, the postcode checker is only going to tell you whether FTTC is available to property in your postcode area. It is correctly reporting that it is, as you have the cabinet near you to confirm.
The address and line checker is the accurate reflection of what is happening at your house. There are only a few ways that you are not showing the FTTC facility for your line and address.

1. You are not actually connected to the box. (Unlikely as you have confirmed via the tracker that your phone line is connected)
2. It is a records issue. Read on.

Your issue is most likely to be a records problem with BT Wholesale. When we had a new FTTC enabled cabinet installed a stones throw from my house last which went live last December, I was ecstatic. I had a fibre service from a further away box at 15mb, but now I would get massive speeds.
Suddenly one day, my 15mb speed dropped to 1.5mb and my 6 month of woes began.
I was able to check and see my phoneline had been moved to the new nearer FTTC cabinet, but yet when I checked my phenolic and address on the DSL checker I was getting a result like yours, i.e. 1.5mb service and no FTTC! (Checking my postcode however reflected FTTC at 80/20 was available!)

My neighbours (right up to 100m further down the road) run the checks, and they were connected to the same cab and getting a full 80/20 FTTC service even though they were further away.

Ultimately, it turned out to be a records update that BT needed to do. Easier said than done since most mainstream end providers (in my case Talktalk) haven't a clue how to deal with any problem that can't be resolved by unplugging your router for 5 mins! You cannot talk to BT directly nor will Openreach assist you.

My resolution? I was advised to go to Andrews and Arnold who are very good at rectifying these sort of issues. Indeed, so good that it took them just 2 days to sort out the problem I had been pulling my hair out with Talktalk about for 6 months!

I would urge you to read my story here, but its a long read smile You may find it worthwhile
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4384066-issue...

I now have 75mb steady download and 19mb upload with A&A with excellent ping performance and no throttling. They are a bit more expensive than the mainstream providers but well worth it, and their customer service is second to none. These guys know there stuff. They have a short 6 month contract requirement, so you could even go to them and then change if needed, but I don't intend to after the agony I went through to resolve my issue.

Good luck!

Edited by Pauli1 (Fri 21-Aug-15 12:14:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to