General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User inmcdonalds
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 11:24:58
Print Post

solutions for long copper lines

[link to this post]

Hi

My property is connected to fibre enabled cabinet but is too far away (2.7km) to get FTTC. We are not in a BDUK area because they believe us to be in a commercial rollout zone (BT). However BT have told us they have no plans to rollout next gen broadband to us because we are not commercially viable. This is frustrating as we are excluded from both commercial and state supported rollout of superfast broadband.

Does anyone know if there are any feasible solutions in store for overcoming the problems of long copper lines? G.fast looks like it will be deployed only to boost the speeds of those with existing FTTC (ie those close to the cabinet). FTTC over ADSL2+ has been mentioned before but I`m not aware of it being an available product. When ever I speak to BT they just say there `might be developments in the future` which is basically of no comfort to me.
Standard User AL66
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:47:58
Print Post

Re: solutions for long copper lines

[re: inmcdonalds] [link to this post]

This graph suggests about 10Mbps might be possible at 2700m:
VDSL2 Distance

What are you using currently? What does the DSL checker show for your line?:
DSL Checker

At that distance BT won't sell you 'Infinity' but they do have another product for lines not capable of the minimum speed to be called Infinity - still uses exactly the same technology between you and the cabinet.
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:17:33
Print Post

[re: AL66] [link to this post]

Exchange PERTH is served by Cabinet 59
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.

I have heard of what you speak of - I think its called BT Faster broaband or something like that. I have gone through the BT.com (my ISP) site to see what packages are available and it doesn`t give me the option to order this sub <15mbps fibre product. I don`t know whether emailing them directly might get a more considered response rather than the automated one. I`m also wondering whether stability of connection might become an issue at that distance.

If anyone has a direct contact detail for someone at BT to ask about ordering the sub 15mbps offer then please share...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AL66
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:46:04
Print Post

OK - Even if FTTC might technically work at that distance you won't even be able to try (unless anyone else knows different?) if it doesn't show up in the availability checker as your ISP won't be able to place the order.

You can wait for FTTP on demand to become available again but even if/when the revised version emerges you will need to be sitting down for the quote - it will be huge. Do you have many near neighbours? The more the better, that might make FTTrN/G.Fast or native FTTP viable in due course.

Have you looked here:
http://www.pkc.gov.uk/broadband
http://www.digitalscotland.org/superfast-broadband/

Also google B4RN and Fell End FTTP for examples of how rural communities have helped themselves.

In the short term your only way of improving speed might be bonding multiple ADSL lines.
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 14:07:58
Print Post

[re: AL66] [link to this post]

Yes I think the fact it isn`t listed on the availability checker is the issue. It`s very difficult to get through to anyone at BT to actually discuss feasibility.

FTTP might be prohibitive I agree. G.Fast - from what I have read, this will be rolled out to those nearest the cabs to increase speed for existing fibre customers, rather than extending the reach of the network.

Digital scotland - won`t help me because I`m in a commercial roll out zone. Even though BT say I`m not commercially viable! go figure!

PKC broadband - they just point me to community broadband scotland to apply for community funding - however you have to have < 2mbps to be eligible. I get 3 mbps.

The annoying thing is is that 4g signal is full strength at my house - data caps make this solution prohibitive.

I can also see a castle 500m away that has FTTP installed!!!
Standard User chilting
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 15:50:35
Print Post

Have a very good look around for Fixed Wireless operators. They are generally small companies that don't advertise very much. Try and mobilize your neighbours if your are just outside their current range, you may find that they could extend their coverage.
Other than that you could use 4G if you have good reception but the data is expensive.
Satellite is a poor option and best avoided.
Standard User APTMAN
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 16:08:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by inmcdonalds:
I get 3 mbps.

I can also see a castle 500m away that has FTTP installed!!!

I get 3.5M on ADSL2 at 4.8Kl. ! you should get more !.

It says you can get 'FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available' have you asked about it. ?

Is the castle willing to give you a WiFi Link that you pay for ?. ask them.

What about more than one ADSL2 line used together ?.

Edited by APTMAN (Wed 19-Aug-15 16:09:39)

(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 16:17:49
Print Post

[re: APTMAN] [link to this post]

APTMAN - I think that ADSL2 speeds are dependent on distance from exchange rather than cabinet - I`m 2.7 km from the cabinet, and you can probably add another 2km for the distance to the exchange (although not sure where I would get the exact figure). Going on the chart on this page..

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-A...

I probably wouldn`t see much benefit from ADSL2.

FTTP OD is not currently being provided commercially - think it was pulled temporarily due to high costs.

Regarding the fixed wireless option -I`m going to contact AB internet - I think they`ve done some projects in Perthshire based on point to multipoint microwave technology. There may be some mileage in pursuing this but god knows how expensive that would be, or what kind of a bureaucratic nightmare it would involve!
  Print Thread

Jump to