General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 19-Aug-15 11:32:18
Print Post

When unto 40Mbps means unto 50% of 40 ???

[link to this post]

Well according to BT, as I am on an unto 40Mbps connection I should only expect to see 20Mbps. (DSL checker suggesting non impacted figures of 27-35, brand new estate and new copper, and since I am only getting around 20-22 then I wanted to get BT to have a look at it)

Apparently .. if you only take the 40Mbps package then BT only allow you 50% of the top speed so in theory I can only get 20Mbps.. hmmmm !!

Anyone experienced this before ?

I feel another complaint coming on..

Regards PGre
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Aug-15 11:54:40
Print Post

Re: When unto 40Mbps means unto 50% of 40 ???

[re: Pgre] [link to this post]

And what are the impacted figures?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:09:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

15-28.1Mbps is the impacted .. I didn't expect it to be impacted as its new install, brand new copper etc.

However.. just been on phone to BT who suggested I am on an impacted line. They have said that if I upgrade to the 80Mbps package that they can change it to a non impacted line.. ???

Regards PGre

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:14:22
Print Post

Please can we have a paste of the telnet figures from both:-

xdslcmd info --show

xdslcmd info --pbParams

smile

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:15:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pgre:
They have said that if I upgrade to the 80Mbps package that they can change it to a non impacted line.. ???
Tripe. Whoever told you that hasn't a clue.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:17:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Agreed.. but happy at the moment to let them faff around.. and then raise yet another complaint. I really want BT to improve.. but education seems to be at the core of at lease some of their needs.

I'll dig out my line stats later..
Max capable is around 28 though when I looked last line was running at 6db.

Regards PGre
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:19:37
Print Post

Impacted - the fact that it is a new install with new copper may not be relevant. Factors such as cross talk from other xDSL circuits, or external noise from a multitude of devices such as fridges, TVs, traffic lights, factories or even radio transmitters can impact on the line. You can control some, however a lot may be outside of your control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User AL66
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:07:19
Print Post

The other common problem with new properties is any extension sockets installed by the developer's electrician, using alarm cable instead of CW1308 phone cable, split pairs, connecting wiring together with random chock block or even just twisting everything together, ramming wires into IDC connections with a screwdriver instead of correct tool, etc!

If you've got any of that best advice is to disconnect it just leaving the NTE5 master socket on the end of the incoming line. You can use the NTE5 test socket to temporarily disconnect any internal wiring.
Standard User Pgre
(experienced) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:13:38
Print Post

Hi.. Understand but BT obviously know if it's impacted or not..
Does anyone know how this works.
My understanding of impacted lines would be more down to bridge taps etc.
Trying to understand if there is any way of getting a clean line.. Should any exist in the existing network.
I'm guessing everyone around me would be on impacted lines too but just trying to understand it more.

Regards PGre
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:17:42
Print Post

"BT only allow you 50% of the top speed"

This has no basis in fact at all, i.e. dealing with support people who either
a) making it up on the basis of a false fact gets most people off the line
OR
b) being trained very badly

There is the 15 Mbps CIR that comes with the up to 40 Mbps product, but that is ONLY a throughput guarantee on part of the network, nothing to do with connection speeds. On the up to 80 Mbps Openreach product this doubles to 30 Mbps, so (b) and a trainer with not much clue may have made some think this was the case.

The CIR is basically a guarantee that Openreach won't run the fibre backhaul hotter than these values. Again nothing to do with connection speed which remains identical no matter if the 40 or 80 Mbps product bought.

Wiring, line length, cross talk and other issues sound most likely, remember also the checker is still only giving an estimate to the DP do there is a variable length of wire to be added to that.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to