General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Piscatorian
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 13:17:00
Print Post

FTTC install gone wrong!

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and been using the site for quite a while now and could really use some help.

A couple of months ago my cabinet went live so a 2 weeks ago I had a BT visit to install a new faceplate and modem.
Because I couldnt be onsite on that day I left my grandaughter at home to let him in and do the work.
Now stupidly because I didnt do my homework the problem I have is this:

My house is networked with CAT5e and my router (Billion 7800n) was located in my study.
In the study I have a wall mounted ethernet socket and a telephone extention socket.

The new faceplate (MK3 version) was installed in my lounge against the outside wall. On the other side of the lounge 5.5m away is an ethernet socket and connected to that is a Netgear 5 port network switch for various media devices like sky box, blueray and games consul.

What I've been told and didnt realise was that the router needs to connect directly via the EWAN port so I've had to move it into the lounge.
This hasnt gone down well with the wife as there are now 2 unsightly white boxes on a bookcase which she wants removed back to the study.

So the question is how can I get the router and or modem back to the study without degredation to my line speed?
My ISP has told me that BT can move the faceplate 30m. Getting cabling for the faceplate to the study I dont think is an option so the best they could do is move it to the other side of the lounge next to the ethernet port.

I hope I've made sense of the situation and would really appreciate some advice.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Aug-15 19:57:58
Print Post

Re: FTTC install gone wrong!

[re: Piscatorian] [link to this post]

Was the socket with the new Mk3 faceplate the master originally, with your CAT5 running from it to everywhere else? If so it is easy to sort out with no more cable required. Including moving the Openreach modem.

If not, then where was the master and what is there now?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Aug-15 19:58:37)

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 19-Aug-15 20:59:45
Print Post

If you run a UTP extension off the unfiltered output of the master to your study, there won't be any significant loss of performance (depends on distance of course , but maybe a percent or two, and if you have a decent noise margin, not even that). You can do that with Ethernet cable or, less bulky, CW1308 spec cable. There are extension kits available. Of course that leaves you with the issue of visible cable. The existing phone extension cable could be used, but if it's not twisted pair performance and reliability might suffer.

There should only be one unfiltered extension, or you will create bridged taps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 21:29:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS,

The surface mounted box is still the original in the original location with the Mk3 faceplate attached.
The only cable running from this socket is a telephone extension lead the runs through the loft and down to my study.
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 21:34:15
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

I'm sorry but I'm a real noob when it comes to this kind of stuff!
Can I ask which is the unfiltered output and what is a UTP extension?
Is my noise margin the same as SNR and how do I find it?
Please forgive my ignorance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Aug-15 21:34:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Piscatorian:
The surface mounted box is still the original in the original location with the Mk3 faceplate attached.
That's a good starting point.
The only cable running from this socket is a telephone extension lead the runs through the loft and down to my study.
First reaction - Fison's. (I hope you get the allusion).

Second reaction, is that cabling CAT5 as per your OP, CW1308, or probable rubbish? If CAT5 we are still in business.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 21:37:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Its definately not CAT5, I have no idea what CW1308 is so I expect its the latter...rubbish!
Standard User AL66
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 21:50:23
Print Post

Who installed the extension? Is it connected to the IDC terminals on the back of the removable section at the bottom of the master socket? What colours are the wires?blue with white stripes, white with blue stripes, orange with white stripes, white with orange stripes, green with white stripes, white with green stripes or blue, orange, green & brown would be a good indication it's either CW1308 or Cat 5
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-15 22:08:21
Print Post

[re: AL66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AL66:
Who installed the extension? Is it connected to the IDC terminals on the back of the removable section at the bottom of the master socket? What colours are the wires?blue with white stripes, white with blue stripes, orange with white stripes, white with orange stripes, green with white stripes, white with green stripes or blue, orange, green & brown would be a good indication it's either CW1308 or Cat 5

When we moved in we had the whole house rewired and the sparky ran the telephone extension cable.
I'll have to check what it is tomorrow afternoon when I get back home.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 19-Aug-15 22:14:51
Print Post

Ahhhhh!

We could still be in business but it may be "interesting"! It sounds like your wiring may have started like this.

We can take an easy way out to get your two boxes into the study, involving (if easily done) a single CAT5 round the room to the existing Ethernet socket or switch.

Or we can check the overall setup and perhaps greatly improve the speed as well, as in that thread. How much effort do you want to put in?

If you want to go the whole hog way, we need a better description of where your CAT5 network starts and goes to, and we need to get some full stats from the modem. Is that an HG612 or and ECI?

Is there a phone attached to the master socket with the modem?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to