General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Aug-15 09:53:55
Print Post

Is there a register of where street cabinets are located?

[link to this post]

Is there a published register of where street cabinets are located?

I'm trying to help out an elderly relative of mine who lives on almost the other side of the country from me, in Norfolk. Because he lives a bit out in the countryside (but still only 3 miles from Norwich) and his exchange is about 4 - 5 miles away from him, up to now his broadband speed has been just 250K bps and clearly confined to ADSL. But the exchange (Honingham) has just been upgraded to FTTC and a quick test using his postcode/tel. no. has given for him a projected downstream speed of (apparently) 6M bps. Whether or not this speed qualifies in Openreach's view as worthy of FTTC I don't know, but the test showed he's on Cabinet no.2, somewhere in the region of Marlingford. We'd now like to find the location of that cabinet, to confirm his revised copper distance.

As an aside, Openreach have recently published a huge list of all FTTC-enabled exchanges in the UK and Honingham is now on that list (EAHON). However, there's a mistake there. The list gives Honingham's region as "Breckland, Norfolk", whereas it should read "Broadland, Norfolk". There's no such place as Honingham in the Breckland area of Norfolk. The only Honingham is the one just to the west of Norwich.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Aug-15 10:07:13
Print Post

Re: Is there a register of where street cabinets are located

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

List of FTTC enabled exchanges is useless, since it depends on your cabinet.

Presume you mean HONNINGHAM and cabinet is at
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6541032,1.1543607,...

and is fibre/VDSL2 enabled.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Aug-15 11:36:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's spelt "Honingham". There's only one 'n' in the name.

Yes, have just looked up that location you gave me, and it does appear to be the cabinet in question, doesn't it? So, many thanks for that; I somehow doubt we'd otherwise have found it, as the location of Cabinet 2 is in the village of Easton, whereas he lives in the village of Marlingford.

I've been doing some quick calculations and I reckon he's still situated, copper-wise, some 2.5 - 2.8 mls away from that cabinet. That'd probably account for the speedtester coming up with a figure of about 6M bps.

It looks as though Openreach have run fibre for just 1.5 miles eastward, along the A47, and no further.

Edited by meditator (Thu 20-Aug-15 11:59:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Aug-15 11:41:15
Print Post

Really? MrS goes and finds the cabinet for you, gives you the location on google street view and all you can do is correct the spelling of the town name? I would have thought a simple "thanks" would have sufficed?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Aug-15 11:50:36
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

At least with streetview it is just time spent on Streetview rather than getting in the car and driving around

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Aug-15 12:05:02
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Excuse me?! It was only a moment ago that I saw the reply and began my own reaction. I was in the process of actually loooking up that view as given, and was then about to edit my reply, when you nipped in and started criticising me. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge and criticise people?
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Aug-15 12:11:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You've got to know where to look, though. Clearly, you had some inkling of where it was. We'd assumed it would have been in the middle of Marlingford, as I'm sure I've seen a BT cabinet there on occasions when I've visited him. If not there, then it could have been literally anywhere within about 4 square miles of Honingham.

Anyway, at least I can tell him where it is now. He'll be disappointed to get only 6M bps, but at least it'll be a whole better than 250K bps!

Edited by meditator (Thu 20-Aug-15 12:14:46)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Aug-15 12:42:01
Print Post

BT will provide their "Faster Broadband" product where FTTC is available and speeds are less than 15Mbps. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740...

It uses the same technology, same modem and everything else - it just has a different name to keep the ASA and others happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Aug-15 13:01:52
Print Post

Your original response only said:

It's spelt "Honingham". There's only one 'n' in the name.

I see you have now edited it but that seems a somewhat unusual way to post. I was responding to your original response which was abrupt and had no recognition of the help MrS had given. These are threaded forums and it is unusual to do a post and then massively change it by edit (small changes for corrections yes, but to add such a massive amount of content...)

Anyway, no matter, you have edited the post now.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Aug-15 14:14:58
Print Post

If they are really 2.5 miles away then even 6 Mbps is probably never going to happen.

2.5 miles is near to 4km and VDSL2 tends to run out of steam at 2km or so.

If you private message the postcode can take a look at a map.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to