General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rich_b
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Aug-15 10:26:44
Print Post

Cabinet appears! Availability date shifts further out!

[link to this post]

So after years of waiting, a fibre cab appeared 3 months ago near my copper cab (Epsom exchange, cabinet P33). FTTC availability date at that point was Sept-15. Just a week or so ago that date suddenly shifted massively to 31-Mar-17 with the explanation
FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Cabinet to be enabled between Apr-16 and Mar-17. Date to be confirmed once the survey is complete..
Any idea what could be going on here? It's so disappointing to think we we're months away and now possibly years, again, even with an installed cabinet.

On a different note, 4% of the addresses in my postcode are served by another cab (p19) which does have FTTC live already. Might it be possible/worth asking BT to move my line to that cab?

Edited by rich_b (Fri 21-Aug-15 10:28:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Aug-15 10:53:06
Print Post

Re: Cabinet appears! Availability date shifts further out!

[re: rich_b] [link to this post]

Team standing cabs had a spare slot so have done it, but other teams like power or fibre are busy elsewhere

You can ask, but they will charge network rearrangement fees and even if that means just 10m of ducting being dug might be a couple of thousand pounds.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User rich_b
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Aug-15 11:05:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for explaining that MrSaffron. I shall try to be patient while the other teams get around to it. smile

When the cab was installed, they dug and re-covered a trench to the copper cab. Would that have been the work needed by the fibre team that you refer to? Or is their job to deal with the connections inside the cab?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Aug-15 11:17:14
Print Post

[re: rich_b] [link to this post]

That would be the duct for the copper to link to existing cab, usually another team do the copper too.

Sometimes things happen so you get several things done on one day, but with little to no slack, they keep the teams busy wherever they can ie. idle teams cost money without delivering anything

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to