General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User whisper
(learned) Sat 22-Aug-15 18:47:27
Print Post

ECI modem v HG612 on Huawei Cabinet

[link to this post]

Recently been connected up with FTTC but have been given an ECI modem on Huawei cab. As far as I can tell from the router (Asus RT-N66U) it hasn't been disconnected since the OR came to sort our star wiring out and reposition cabling, which was on 19 Aug. I am assuming that if the modem were to lose sync, that it would show in the up time of the RT-N66U and that once the modem re-syncs the up time on the router would start again from scratch? If I am correct we have been connected for just over 3 days with no drop outs. Over this time the BT Wholesale speed test has given the same sync number. The ECI modem on our cab would appear to be stable so far. The reason for asking is that the OR engineer sync'd at 21.74 Mbps using his equipment and according to Zen's Line Rate Data for 19 August, sync is 17390 Mbps with the ECI modem.

1. Would there be any speed increase using the unlocked HG612 on the Huawei cab and is it likely that it would be stable?

2. Have no idea whether g.inp has been implemented on our cab but if it were would the unlocked HG612 be updated accordingly and would we see any speed increase?

3. Will I mess anything up if I change the modems over on the 4th day of being connected or should I leave well alone?

I have read so much on g.inp, modems and such like that my brain is somewhat scrambled, so if anyone could give me a bit of help with this, I would be grateful.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Aug-15 23:48:32
Print Post

Re: ECI modem v HG612 on Huawei Cabinet

[re: whisper] [link to this post]

1. Maybe, maybe not. It is likely to be stable, but I'm not sure anyone could say anything about the basic speed.

2. Retransmission has probably been activated by now. When you change modem, it might take a few days to switch, and that probably will happen. If DLM had acted on your line, then you'd probably see increased speed ... but it doesn't sound like DLM has intervened. Probably better to assume similar speeds, possibly possibly possibly higher.

3. No. Just don't disconnect too many times in a day. Best practice is to power off before disconnecting phone line, and to wait 30 minutes before reconnecting.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Aug-15 00:32:59
Print Post

I would recommend using a HG612 or other broadcom dsl chip based modem/router !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User whisper
(learned) Sun 23-Aug-15 01:01:31
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I just did a new post about the DLM but have deleted it thinking it might be better added here.

Isn't DLM supposed to act anyway i.e. dropping line, re-synching etc to find best speed. Ours just seems to be stuck at the same speed. For the first two days after the Kelly install we barely got anything over 4Mbs! Wasn't the DLM supposed to be reset after OR's visit once he did the proper install? I am a bit surprised that the DLM is not doing anything.
Standard User whisper
(learned) Sun 23-Aug-15 01:03:00
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Going to swap the ECI with the HG612 tomorrow morning. We'll see what happens. Probably nothing knowing our luck!
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Aug-15 01:11:19
Print Post

Well make sure the HG612 have the correct firmware for full compatibility with ReTX (G.INP) and also as mentioned already, it may take a few days to couple of weeks for DLM to change your lines profiles accordingly. smile

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Aug-15 01:31:59
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I would of though Openreach wuld have clamped down on ECI modems being dished out to customers on Huawei cabs... specially after the calls up earlier this year with G.INP!

Standard User whisper
(learned) Sun 23-Aug-15 01:42:49
Print Post

The Kelly engineer bought the ECI modem on the first install and said that was all he had on his van but from other posts it looks as though OR don't supply the HG612 anymore.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Aug-15 01:49:59
Print Post

well the statement issued by Openreach when the G.INP issues first arose due to incapable equipment was that Modems and DSLAM's where supposed to be matched...

Not that I'm saying that statement wasn't a load of rubbish of course, I'm sure it was... but to let it continue is just laughable really!

I'm sure the rumours about HG612's is not true though I wouldn't be surprised if they where stocking a lot less of the HG612's compared to the "supposedly" much cheaper ECI's

Standard User arobertson545
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 10:10:14
Print Post

It was my experience, from using a hacked ECI modem on a Huawei cabinet, that the ECI modem synced approximately 7Mbps slower than Broadcom-based modems.

Broadcom-based modems all seem to perform quite similarly on my line at least. The ZyXEL VMG8324 produces more CRCs and ES than the Huawei HG612 and Billion 8800NL that I have also used.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to