General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User curedtc
(learned) Mon 24-Aug-15 09:28:07
Print Post

Should I expect more from FTTC?

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I recently upgraded from ADSL to FTTC as it was on offer from my current provider and it was included with calls etc. (TalkTalk but was AOL)

I live about 1.5 miles from the exchange and I was getting around 2.5MB on tests on ADSL and I am getting about the same... maybe 3MB at times... I had some one come out and BT's expected speed was around 6-7MB which would have been fantastic really but sadly nothing could be done as the testing devices didn't work at my home.

Should I be annoyed or is that all I should expect being so far from the exchange? I was hoping for a little it more to be honest.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 24-Aug-15 09:39:47
Print Post

Re: Should I expect more from FTTC?

[re: curedtc] [link to this post]

MegaBytes or Megabits? 3MB is a reasonable speed.

How far are you from the cabinet that serves you - actual road distance rather than straight line.

Can you provide a set of stats for the line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:52:00
Print Post

The fact their test kit did not work supports idea this is not a fault but a very long line.

Do you know the exchange name and cabinet, then can show you where cabinet is and you can estimate distance to it, if it is 1.5 miles then yes would urge caution that it might not be faster than ADSL.

The assumption here is that MB means Mega bits per second (Mbps)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User curedtc
(regular) Mon 24-Aug-15 11:35:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Whichever SpeedTest reports. I will have to post it when I get home as I cannot recall what it says. I presume Mbps.

I think it is 1.7 miles I was told.

I obviously did not expect the 17Mb advertised but had hoped an improvement on the existing speed.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 24-Aug-15 11:59:58
Print Post

You mention 1.5/1.7 to the exchange which is not relevant for FTTC it is the premises to cabinet distance that dictates the speed. So, unless your cabinet is actually at the exchange, it should be a lot shorter.

Can you post details of the DSL Checker output - everything except your phone number.

M H C

Standard User curedtc
(regular) Mon 24-Aug-15 12:12:57
Print Post

Yes I did think the cabinet was nearer which was my confusion but that checker does not work as we are not with BT. It is still well over a mile I would say.
I have used my neighbours address as that came up.

Image here
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Aug-15 12:16:57
Print Post

Is the neighbour on the same cabinet as you, as no way that the estimate they are seeing represents a cabinet that is well over a mile away.

You can use the address checker even if on LLU, only the phone number lookups don't work.

What exchange and cabinet was listed in for the neighbour, and compare to what is listed for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Aug-15 12:18:10
Print Post

If you were expecting an advertised speed of 17 Mbps that coincidentally is the speed that ADSL2+ is sold at, and the upgrade you have bought may actually just have been from ADSL of AOL to ADSL2+ with TalkTalk and is NOTHING to do with FTTC at all.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 24-Aug-15 12:26:42
Print Post

No way is your neighbour a mile from the cabinet! With those forecasts probably nearer 650 to 800metres

Are you in a row of houses? If so what do two or three each side say based on their phone numbers?

The checker should still work based on your ADDRESS. Go to the checker, slect address option and just enter the postcode, it will then give a drop down list of addresses - yours should be there.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Aug-15 12:28:05
Print Post

See my earlier reply - suspect user is really just upgraded to ADSL2+ from ADSL, which explains the minimal change in speeds.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to