General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User burble
(learned) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:02:44
Print Post

Engineers install/Line speed

[link to this post]

Our FTTC 'went live' three days ago.
Due (I think) to the long line lenght TalkTalk decided a engineer was needed to install.
On the day a engineer visited in a hurry, covering for a sick colleague, swapped our old master socket for a mk3, plugged in the router, tried to get through to talktalk speed checker but failed, tried to get throu on mobile but failed, said "well your connected it will proboly be about 18Mb" then legged it.
Our estimated speed on the order was 7 to 12Mb, the guestimate from ADSLGuide was 7Mb, our speed is 5.6Mb.
Something that occured to me is that several years back an engineer needed to 'Profile' our line to get best speed, should the engineer installing FTTC have done something similar?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:21:57
Print Post

Re: Engineers install/Line speed

[re: burble] [link to this post]

No, it should just sort itself out. It wasn't a Kellys or Quinns engineer was it ?

Standard User burble
(learned) Mon 24-Aug-15 17:16:12
Print Post

Re: Engineers install/Line speed

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It was a sub contractor for openreach, the van had openreach on sides but contractors name on back doors, not sure of the name thou.
It just seemed strange that Talktalk decided to send out engineer, I could have plugged in micro filter and connected router myself, the only differance he made was to fit a mk3 socket. I've had four different routers over the years this was first time an engineer was needed to connect one, the previous engineer visit was to cure a drop in speed, and as I said he 'profiled' (or whatever it's callled) the line for ADSL.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to