General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Mon 24-Aug-15 15:20:23
Print Post

Is this the delivery of the fibre cable??

[link to this post]

I have just walked past an engineer outside our cab (Danehill CAB 2) and he was doing THIS

Is this the fibre???

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Aug-15 16:06:38
Print Post

Re: Is this the delivery of the fibre cable??

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

No

Maybe fibre tubing, but cannot see if its a black 1 inch diameter tube with a yellow stripe on it.

The fibre is subsequently blown through the tubes, blown as it is rather delicate and using the blue pull rope would break it, even when putting in the fibre tubing they have to be careful not to stretch this as a stretched section may pinch fibre when its being blown.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ChrisMag
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 18:26:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It looks similar to some black tubing that was laid near us last week. Since then, Openreach have been back and laid the cabling with a yellow line, so I guess it's the outer tubing prior to the fibre going in.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Icaras
(committed) Tue 25-Aug-15 10:18:01
Print Post

[re: ChrisMag] [link to this post]

The black tubing with the yellow line is the outer layer, nothing goes over it. The fibre then gets blown through the black and yellow tube.
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Tue 25-Aug-15 11:46:37
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Found info on what's going in with my cab. I never realized there was a blog for our broadband. http://www.horstedkeynes.com/broadband.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:12:17
Print Post

How long does it take??

Right okay I need some help understanding this!

1. Do they blow the fibre cable directly to the cab from the exchange, or they do it from each joint box?

2. BDUK tells me they had blown the fibreon Monday, why is it taking so long for the cab to go live?

3. What engineering processes do they need to go through in order to install the actual fibre?

And 4. Do they do this late in the evening?

Thank you

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:47:53
Print Post

Re: How long does it take??

The fibre may be connected... but doesn't mean the electrics are... also the cabinet might need some configurations doing... more kit installing in it... pairs to PCP might need to be fed yet too.

Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:54:06
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

WS BDUK said everything would be done be the end of the week, jointing, feeding lines, etc. I haven't seen a single engineer!!

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:55:04
Print Post

How long has it been since the cabinet was installed at curb side?

Standard User simon194
(experienced) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:58:40
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

There was cab near me was stood for over a year waiting for the power to be connected from across the road. Admittedly the delay was down to the local council refusing permission to dig up the road until an ongoing 60 week gas main replacement project along the said road was completed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to