General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-15 18:15:43
Print Post

Is it coming back?

[link to this post]

Hi, a question just out of curiosity. After I upgraded the firmware in my HG612 to support G.INP, G.INP activated immediately upon restarting the modem. There was no change in sync, mid 16.x Mbps. What was noticeable was that the sn margin seemed to have its feet nailed to the ground at 6.x varying only by the odd tenth. It hadn't varied much before but now it was remarkably stable, and slightly conservative. After about 30 days there was a power outage, the modem resynced at exactly the same speed afterwards and carried on as before. The DSLStats software eventually hit 45(?) days and then presumably broke its counter, showing 0 days for about a week. Then there was another power outage (I'm in the countryside, I get more than my share) and the modem resynced at 19.6Mbps. Whoopee! sn was low at 4.x and wandered down into the 3.x region over a few days but it survived until a night of heavy rain when it dropped and resynced at 15.9.

I have switched the modem off, left it for over an hour and then switched it back on. That got me up to about 16.4. A couple of days later I switched the modem off for 30 seconds and I'm now at 16.6, so essentially, no difference.

So the question, after that long ramble, is; what chance is there that I'll see a resync somewhere within that 3Mbps range which gives me a little bit more speed but with enough stability to keep on going?

Current figures look like;
Stats recorded 26 Aug 2015 18:11:48

DSLAM/MSAN type: BDCM:0xa44f / v0xa44f
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 1 day 7 hours 34 min 49 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 26 Aug 2015 17:58:14)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 32.8 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 16663 1136
SNR margin (dB): 6.6 6.4
Power (dBm): 9.9 10.5
Interleave depth: 8 1
INP: 41.00 0
G.INP: Enabled

RSCorr/RS (%): 0.0063 0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour: 0 0

Thanks,
John
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 26-Aug-15 18:24:34
Print Post

Re: Is it coming back?

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JHo1:
So the question, after that long ramble, is; what chance is there that I'll see a resync somewhere within that 3Mbps range which gives me a little bit more speed but with enough stability to keep on going?

Very unlikely.

The resync that gave you 19 Mbps will have established with a SNR of 6dB - and it happened at a very low noise point in time. That is demonstrated by the SNR you saw soon after was 4.x as the noise floor increased.

As it occurred immediately on power restore there is a possibility that other devices in the house were still OFF and not creating any noise although they then came back up a moment later an d noise again appeared.

Have you tried powering off everything in the house and just having the modem and a PC running to see what that gives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JHo1
(regular) Wed 26-Aug-15 18:42:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

There's not a whole heap running. Fridge / freezer, PVR, a pair of homeplugs (which had no effect on connection speed when first introduced). I'll give it a go and report back but it may be a day or two before I can do it without howls of "what's happened to the internet?".

Ah well, what's 3Mbps smile

And I've just remembered a clock / radio.

Thanks,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Aug-15 21:35:46
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JHo1:
There's not a whole heap running. Fridge / freezer, PVR, a pair of homeplugs (which had no effect on connection speed when first introduced). I'll give it a go and report back but it may be a day or two before I can do it without howls of "what's happened to the internet?".

If the power outage was widespread, and took out modems from other subscribers, or possibly the DSLAM itself, then the resync might have happened quickly enough to get you up before other modems. As they sync'd, their signal would appear as noise on your line (via crosstalk) and would reduce your SNRM to some extent.

This noise, of course, is nothing you can control.
  Print Thread

Jump to