General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Anotheridol
(newbie) Wed 26-Aug-15 20:59:54
Print Post

Alvaston Exchange Cab 28

[link to this post]

Just wondered if there was any upgrade information on the Alvaston Exchange, specifically cabinet 28.

The area is fairly new build (2012), but was around before the Alvaston Exchange was upgraded for fibre (2014, I believe). Not entirely sure why we've been "missed" but its getting to the point where I am thinking of moving for a better Internet connection.

Heck, I'd even take Virgin Media if they expanded here (they're pretty much across the road too!)

Any info would be highly appreciated.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Aug-15 21:27:34
Print Post

Re: Alvaston Exchange Cab 28

[re: Anotheridol] [link to this post]

The cab doesn't seem to be down for an upgrade - and none of the Alvaston cabinets have been subsidised by the BDUK project. The last thing touched was early 2014, which ties in with the main end of the commercial rollout.

If I remember correctly, the Derbyshire BDUK project has deliberately ignored anything within the city of Derby itself.

You might want to check with them whether they will continue that stance into the phase 2 contract.
(newbie) Wed 26-Aug-15 21:49:36
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. This is what I feared, to be honest.

I contacted the Derbyshire BDUK project a few months ago and they said that they're not servicing south Derby and are only focussing on rural Derbyshire and that I should contact the programme dealing with City Centre rollout. Thing is, there isn't one. You are 100% correct in your recollection.

I've also contacted the council but they're claiming to know nothing.

Looks like I've got another excuse to leave Derby.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Aug-15 22:18:39
Print Post

[re: Anotheridol] [link to this post]

In that case, you've got nothing to lose from registering with VM's project lightning. Most of their coming rollout is said to expand into "nearby" areas from their existing areas.

BT do have some plans to continue in cities, but it isn't a very big programme comparatively, and they seem to be concentrating on meeting their contractual targets with BDUK.
(newbie) Wed 26-Aug-15 22:24:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yeah, I figured with BT. After keeping up with some of the news of how slow progress seems to be with the BDUK projects, my only hope it seems is VM.

Derby already has a heavy VM presence so I can only hope that they'll expand further. I've been in touch with the Cable My Street team but get the usual "we'll be in touch if we choose your street" spiel.
  Print Thread

Jump to