General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User plumbob12
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-15 10:46:42
Print Post

Anglesey still in Limbo

[link to this post]

We were supposed to be getting fibre broadband to our village Llanfairynghornwy LL65 4LN, back in December 2013, which was then put back to July 2014 at which point it was placed in the “under review bracket” whatever that means. Since then we have heard absolutely nothing. I have been in touch with superfast-cymru.com Wales but they have no news to pass on either. The cabling that was put in place back in 2013 ready to install the fibre cabling, all curled up on the telegraph poles, is now subject to winter storms and is unravelling in places. In the mean time what broadband service we do have is getting worse and slower, I used to get 1.9mb download speed now it varies between 1.4 and 1.7, not much difference I know, but means the difference between being able to stream TV programs and not being able to stream programmes. At the same time the internet is speeding up all the time and files are getting bigger in order to provide the better quality,

As a result our service is constantly getting worse in all sorts of ways while the government claims that the service is getting better and better for all. How long are we to be subject to this “under Review” situation which just seems to mean nothing. How long does it take to review 1 year, 2 years, 3 years? We are stuck in limbo.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 27-Aug-15 13:22:25
Print Post

Re: Anglesey still in Limbo

[re: plumbob12] [link to this post]

Well that exchange was only upgraded the 10th July 2014 so about a year ago, so at least some cabinets should of gone live by now.

After doing some checks I can see that cabinet 4 has been upgraded with FTTC and the remaining 3 cabinets are still down as being planned for FTTP, but these things change all the time and my or may not end up with FTTC.

I can see that there is a huge amount of EO Blocks used, so they may or may not be working on sorting those out first, or at least get them put on a PCP cabinet.

You mention cables coiled up on the poles if that's black tubing with a yellow stripe then those addresses connected to those poles are probably down for FTTP.

You seem to have a small exchange (i.e. less than ~1000 lines) so I will do a full check on all addresses so that we can see who has what and might see some progress.
This check will probably take a few hours to complete.

*** update ***
This may take longer due to the BT's DSL Checker is down to me at the moment.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 27-Aug-15 13:38:30)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 27-Aug-15 21:09:34
Print Post

Ok, I have just completed the check...

BT Wholesale Exchange Information.
  • Exchange Name: Llanfaethlu
  • Exchange Code: WNLFU
  • Total Connections: 946 (approximate)
  • Cabinet: EO
    • FTTP: 0
    • FTTC: 0
    • ADSLx: 137
    • None: 0

• Cabinet: 1
    • ADSLx: 207

• Cabinet: 2
    • ADSLx: 189

• Cabinet: 3
    • ADSLx: 205
    • None: 2

• Cabinet: 4
    • FTTC: 188
    • ADSLx: 11

• † Detected 7 Issues.
All above information is correct at time of 21:00 27-Aug-2015.

† Detected Issues could be stuff like:
Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.
As you can see only addresses connected to cabinet 4 apart from 11 addresses can get fibre.

You are under the BDUK Wales project so you should get done.

So its just a waiting game now.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User plumbob12
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 14:00:41
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

Thanks for finding out all that info for me Paul, much appreciated. Still think its not right that we can't get any real information about what and when things are going to happen. When it comes to renewing my contract I don't know whether to hang on with BT in the hope of getting infinity or going with sky where i can get a much cheaper deal but with the on going speed problems. It's not fair on the customers keeping them in the dark like this we can't make proper financial decisions.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Aug-15 15:29:11
Print Post

Problem is that willing to bet they've tried to helpful at the beginning but then suffered Mr/Mrs/Ms Angry when a date was missed - so we end up with less information on timescales.

So while its a useless position, they see it as less negative to them than being accused of being constantly wrong

FTTP almost always is done after most FTTC work in area, simply because it involves more work and the same teams running fibre for cabinets can get a lot more of them done in the same time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User plumbob12
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 17:12:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks also Mr Saffron. To honest that is exactly how I see it but i need someone else to voice the point for me. I have a feeling that the guy who came up with the idea of "under review" got a really good promotion. It leaves the customer well and truly snookered.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Fri 28-Aug-15 17:27:40
Print Post

I agree that "Under Review" is useless, it just seems to be a general catch all and "tell them nothing" phrase. I went from "Coming Soon" to the "Under Review" which did not change for many months until suddenly one day it was fibre is available and accepting orders.
Having ordered my FTTP I have got nowhere with the order after two months and BT do not seem to know what is happening with the order so the agony (I have an unstable ADSL line at present with 100 + disconnections on a bad day) does not necessarily stop when you can finally order I am afraid.
  Print Thread

Jump to