General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User edinburghblade
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-15 11:24:12
Print Post

Possible FTTP Install?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I noticed that BT had been out to survey the current PCP at the end of the estate and have done the usual spray paint of the white X where the new fibre cab will be about a month ago.

Despite my constant checking on the local council planning site nothing has appeared yet (sigh) but today BT Openreach have been out lifting man hole covers down the estate and when asked if they were installing fibre they said yes but it'll be a few months yet.

Could this mean that they are running fibre throughout the estate to the premise?

Cheers

Edinblade
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Thu 27-Aug-15 11:55:14
Print Post

Re: Possible FTTP Install?

[re: edinburghblade] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edinburghblade:
Hi all,

I noticed that BT had been out to survey the current PCP at the end of the estate and have done the usual spray paint of the white X where the new fibre cab will be about a month ago.

Despite my constant checking on the local council planning site nothing has appeared yet (sigh) but today BT Openreach have been out lifting man hole covers down the estate and when asked if they were installing fibre they said yes but it'll be a few months yet.

Could this mean that they are running fibre throughout the estate to the premise?

Cheers

Edinblade

Unlikely. Chances are it'll just be the fibre spine between the exchange and the cabinet.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 27-Aug-15 12:51:25
Print Post

If you are on a PCP connection (i.e. not an EO Line) and you have seen sprayed outlines within 10 or so metres from your PCP Cabinet (i.e. phone cabinet) then you will probably be getting FTTC and not FTTP.

I would also check on http://roadworks.org/ I seem to see more information on there than I do for my councils site.

Also a postcode helps.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Aug-15 13:56:51
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Or another cabinet on the estate or past that estate

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-15 17:21:20
Print Post

That's one hell of a jump you've made from the x on the road, to the lifting of manholes to.... FTTP! smile

I like your optimism though!
Standard User edinburghblade
(newbie) Thu 27-Aug-15 17:57:17
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Haha! You need optimism!

The only reason I made the presumption (optimistically i might add!) was that they were running the fibre through the estate towards the PCP when the exchange is about 700 yards the opposite way away from the estate!

I suppose you can't guarantee that cables are run in a straight line eh wink

Postcode is EH6 5AB - i'm on PCP Leith 95

Can't find anything on the roadworks website nor the council's planning permission site...yet!

Looks like the end is in sight though! T minus 3 months ish!

Cheers

Edinblade
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-15 18:20:21
Print Post

Sounds like the fibre is coming from a larger exchange rather than your one. This is very common.

The fibre cabinets are connected to the nearest large exchange (the fibre headend), which is often not the closest exchange.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 27-Aug-15 18:42:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by edinburghblade:
Postcode is EH6 5AB - i'm on PCP Leith 95

Can't find anything on the roadworks website nor the council's planning permission site...yet!

Looks like the end is in sight though! T minus 3 months ish!
Well I have this information, whether its correct who knows.

BT Exchange: Leith                                  Exchange Code: ESLEI 
Cabinet P95   FTTC Planned   Phase BDUK Scot Government 15a       Huawei

So you are down for FTTC and not FTTP, also seems a newish PCP cabinet due to it at most 3.5 years old.
Leith

Fibre broadband is currently available to some premises in this area.

Digital Scotland plans to extend fibre broadband coverage in this area. Work under the Digital Scotland programme means that additional premises in this area are currently expected to receive fibre broadband in the period July to December 2015.

Service availability is subject to available service provider product offerings and can be affected by technology constraints specific to individual circumstances. For more information and to order fibre broadband services, check with your Internet Service Provider or look on the Ofcom price comparison site http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio/price-compari... .
So you "may" be lucky and get fibre this year.

Paul
Standard User solchain
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 10:23:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icaras:
Sounds like the fibre is coming from a larger exchange rather than your one. This is very common.

The fibre cabinets are connected to the nearest large exchange (the fibre headend), which is often not the closest exchange.

This is true, the fibre to my cab comes from a main road (Don't ask me anymore than that its just what I was told by the engineer laying the fibre) rather than my exchange, and a village next to me comes from the opposite direction to the exchange, so you never can predict where the fibre will come from.

In my case my cab has gone live before the cabs in my exchange village, so sometimes its a blessing.
Standard User Binary_Digit
(learned) Mon 28-Sep-15 14:08:06
Print Post

It's on the CEC planning website now.
https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/a...

Paul where did you get that Cab details from? Anything for EH6 6LP, cabinet 88
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to