General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Derpy
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 03:57:25
Print Post

Terrible FTTC connection (Sky)

[link to this post]

Hi there
I seem to have the unluckiest FTTC connection around.
I got Sky Fiber (provided through BT Openreach) 3 months ago and I have had nothing but problems.
Initially speed was good at 80mb but upload speed was poor at 6mb. I contacted Sky and they sent out a BT openreach engineer who did basically nothing the first time and left. Now I have had 6 engineers and still my line drops out all the time which means I now have a sync speed of 29mb...

My current noise margin is just under 20db and still suffers drop outs and I regularly get a bizarre 40mb sync speed but no ip address (aka a broken sync connection it seems) and I am forced to reboot the router until I reconnect. This has happened at all speed levels for the last 2 months and there are no theories why this is happening. We were away on holiday and my router hit the 40mb sync problem and was connected for over a week until I got home and rebooted the router. The engineer that came out after that problem spoke to Openreach fiber team and they said they saw no data during that week and thought I had actually turned my router off which I didnt. Now 2 engineers lately the last guy left today after switching the pair to both my flat and to the cabinet and has not found an issue there. I have had a new sky router as well in case thats an issue but it made no difference. He and myself think the port I am on in the cabinet is borked but every time an engineer attempts to get lift and shift authorization BT deny the request and just reset the port.
The engineer left today to try and get it but I got a voicemail from sky saying BT found a problem on the exchange and that my speeds should increase over the next 10 days. Tonight I went to 29mb sync speed (down from 32mb 2 days ago and 35mb before that etc...) and I had another 40mb broken sync.
I really think everything has been eliminated beside the cabinet port but BT wont give me a lift and shift.

Does anyone have any theories of the cause or any tips to get BT to finally try a different port as its the only thing we have not eliminated yet.

I am monitoring my connection with RouterStats so I can see the drop outs and problems but nothing helps and most of the engineers have not cared about the information I can provide them. Sky can see the errors building on my line but are powerless to do anything it seems.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 29996 kbps 5000 kbps
Line Attenuation 20.6 dB 0.0 dB
Noise Margin 20.6 dB 9.9 dB
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Aug-15 07:37:16
Print Post

Re: Terrible FTTC connection (Sky)

[re: Derpy] [link to this post]

Sky can see the errors building on my line but are powerless to do anything it seems.

They are not powerless to do anything about it, you are their customer, it is up to them to arrange it's resolution to your satisfaction.
I regularly get a bizarre 40mb sync speed but no ip address (aka a broken sync connection it seems) and I am forced to reboot the router until I reconnect.

That sounds to me like a rectified split pair. Are you 100% sure the Openreach engineer swapped out every last inch of the pair back to the cab, including any internal stuff to your flat ?

It could be the port I suppose, but then I'd have hoped the support team at Openreach would have been able to see something was awry with it. Keep on at Sky, it's all you can do.

Standard User Derpy
(newbie) Fri 28-Aug-15 16:31:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Sky can see the errors building on my line but are powerless to do anything it seems.

They are not powerless to do anything about it, you are their customer, it is up to them to arrange it's resolution to your satisfaction.
I regularly get a bizarre 40mb sync speed but no ip address (aka a broken sync connection it seems) and I am forced to reboot the router until I reconnect.

That sounds to me like a rectified split pair. Are you 100% sure the Openreach engineer swapped out every last inch of the pair back to the cab, including any internal stuff to your flat ?

It could be the port I suppose, but then I'd have hoped the support team at Openreach would have been able to see something was awry with it. Keep on at Sky, it's all you can do.

Thanks for replying smile

I am not 100% sure about the block distro box to my flat but the guy had been with BT since the beginning and said he did that as well. My first post was kind of a brief history as I have been posting on the sky forums as well without success. I really would like a lift and shift as 2 engineers have both got 40mb syncs (one when my router was getting 60mb and the other yesterday when it was at 32mb) using their JDSU's which I said was strange. Both tried the JDSU's in the cabinet port direct they say and there they got 40mb syncs and thats what makes me suspect a port problem more then anything.

Thanks again for replying, I think it may be time to move lol...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Derpy
(newbie) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:28:17
Print Post

The problems continue, now I am down to 27mb downstream and 4296 upstream...
Does the JDSU detect split pair faults?
I am getting another engineer out again but I really doubt it will make a difference. I wish they would just switch the port to even see if that helps.
Standard User Derpy
(newbie) Sun 30-Aug-15 15:38:45
Print Post

Also just to confirm, the JDSU should support 80/20 profiles?
They dont seem to understand that something isnt right when they plug into the port in the cabinet and it only gets 40mb.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 30-Aug-15 17:17:39
Print Post

how far are you from your block of fat / to the cab
and what floor of ther block are you in
Standard User Derpy
(newbie) Sun 30-Aug-15 18:56:15
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

Total run is under 100m. We are the first floor (ground is a garage) and I am sure I saw a screen on the jdsu that estimated 46m from the cabinet.
I got the locked sync problem last night to 40mb even though when it works or connects it currently gets 25mb. Both the upload and download are locked when it happens and I actually can't stop the router trying to connect (the pop up dialogue on the router that has a disconnect button. It normally stops the router when connecting when everything is working) and we are on our second sky router just in case that was the problem.

Thanks for the reply
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 22:18:38
Print Post

Sorry for the delay, I've been away.

Yes, the JDSU will happily show an 80/20 sync.

Detecting a partial/rectified split pair can be tricky, the end to end PQ (pair quality) test *may* show low AC balance, 60db or greater being ideal, but over 55db for sure.

With the JDSU in manual sync on the VDSL, see if you can peer over the engineers shoulder, note down the theoretical max sync, the attenuation and the snr. Oh and of course the current sync rates.

Standard User Derpy
(newbie) Mon 31-Aug-15 22:21:15
Print Post

Hi
The guy was out today and says he finally was allowed a lift and shift so I got him to ensure DLM was reset so we will see how it goes.
I actually found a guy on another forum who had the same problem on the same exchange so I sent him a PM and he is actually in the same building as me!
He is moving from Sky to BT tomorrow so we will see how he gets on with that.
I have also ordered a BT Openreach modem as I see once unlocked you can see CRC/FEC errors which would be very useful.

Thanks again for replying smile
  Print Thread

Jump to