General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fiddler
(member) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:33:34
Print Post

FTTP - Post or Premises?

[link to this post]

So, SuperfastCymru have informed me that my part of Carmarthenshire (SA200YW) will get FTTP sometime next spring. I am on Cab 2 but about 2 miles away so I guess that makes sense.

Probably getting ahead of myself, but chatting to one of my patients who is an Openreach engineer, he tells me that the fibre might only be along the poles at the main road and the final connection across the few fields to our house might still be the existing copper line.

Pictures of FTTP installs have lead me to believe that a new fibre, not copper, cable is routed into the premises.

So is it fibre all the way or only up to the last post? Does the presence of copper mean that speeds will be limited to those of FTTC?

Regards,

Rob
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:57:38
Print Post

Re: FTTP - Post or Premises?

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

I think it is not at all that simple.
FTTP is to the premises, BUT, how big is your postcode area? how many properties are there in the postcode?
You or your ISP may be responsible for the cost of running the fibre from the DP (distribution point) to the property; the DP could be on the main road.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Aug-15 13:19:58
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Two types of FTTP and ian may have been talking about the one that no-one can order FibreOnDemand with an install cost in the £1000's and is for areas where FTTC is the main option.

Native FTTP carries a wholesale install price of £99+VAT (or sometimes free with an 18 month contract) and in these scenarios they have installed a fibre manifold onto the final DP that serves all the properties. This manifold usually serves 8 to 12 premises and they will as part of the £99 install the final few metres of fibre to your premises.

The exception is if there is no existing ducting between the DP or the overhead run in a long and costly, at which point excess construction charges may apply.

So if its 20 to 30m of overhead copper now that gets replaced by a small tube to carry the fibre and the copper, but if you are a farm with say a 200m long lane to the buildings then excess construction will apply.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 29-Aug-15 13:25:53
Print Post

Looking specifically at the area served by cabinet 2, it is a dispersed area with a core Llandovery itself and while they usually do eventually cover all a cab area with native FTTP (which is what is planned for the area) it will take time and the first areas on the cab may go live before outlying postcodes like SA20 0ST

If you are the only property across these fields then as I mentioned elsewhere excess construction costs may apply, or if you own the fields you may be able to reduce those by installing duct BT supply.

Given distance from the cabinet FTTC would have been no use to you anyway.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jax2
(member) Sat 29-Aug-15 14:06:31
Print Post

I have FTTP on order, the run from the pole with the "bottle" on to my house is about 250 metres running over three further existing poles and also requires tree surgery (branch removal) on four or five trees but there is no extra charge over the standard charge.
Another person further down the lane has a big problem in that the last three poles of six carry his electricity supply as well as his phone line so cannot be used to carry the fibre. The nature of the lane is such that he has been told that new ducting will probably have to be put in including crossing the lane, about 500 metres altogether, which will carry a considerable extra charge. He is waiting for a survey to be done by the engineers to find out how much and is talking to his new neighbours who have just moved in to see if they will share costs which are likely to be in the thousands.
Standard User btbert
(committed) Sat 29-Aug-15 14:21:47
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

£25000+ i would say.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2420497773.png
Standard User Jax2
(member) Sat 29-Aug-15 14:53:18
Print Post

[re: btbert] [link to this post]

Grief, I had to count the zero's twice!
And there was him getting all excited about FTTP finally being available! I have no idea of his financial position but if it was me that would be the end of the dream of fibre. Poor guy, he gets about 2 now on a flaky line which prevents his partner working from home so she has to travel to London a lot.
Shows what a lottery it can be with this FTTP business.
Standard User mrijones
(newbie) Sat 29-Aug-15 16:29:50
Print Post

Many exchanges in Wales have had a mix of FTTC & FTTP installed. FTTP has been installed where premises are fawr away from cabs and FTTC would not have made much of an improvement.

Have you seen anything like this on any poles nearby?
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/pages/im...

It can take quite a while for the installation process to be completed though, one of those Pole Mounted Fibre Splitters appeared on a pole a near my sister's house late December last year but no further progress has been made since then.
Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Sat 29-Aug-15 17:36:19
Print Post

[re: Jax2] [link to this post]

It looks like about £25 per metre for moleploughing (if that's possible), but not the only cost likely to be incurred.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/prici...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 29-Aug-15 17:40:34
Print Post

Do the fields belong to you?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to