General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pouser
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 12:56:41
Print Post

BT Fibre self install?

[link to this post]

Hi

When I had fibre installed at my last house (2011) BT installed a 'white box' after the main inlet and the modem was connected to the box.

Does this still have to be done by BT or is Fibre self install nowadays?

Steve
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 02-Sep-15 12:59:34
Print Post

Re: BT Fibre self install?

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pouser:
Hi

When I had fibre installed at my last house (2011) BT installed a 'white box' after the main inlet and the modem was connected to the box.

Does this still have to be done by BT or is Fibre self install nowadays?

Steve

"White Box"? What did it look like - apart from being white and a box? Size, connections, labels, LEDs &c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:08:19
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Presume it looked like

I guess MHC is wondering if the original poster was describing a native FTTP fibre ONT unit.

FTTC based installs are generally self install these days though. So depends on what is meant by BT Fibre (99% chance poster means FTTC)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheEulerID
(member) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:09:57
Print Post

I'm not sure what it could be between the socket and the modem apart from a microfilter (which would be an odd choice). I could only imagine that done if there wasn't a modern master socket (but surely a BT engineer would have replaced it).

In any event, for most ISPs it's self-install unless arranged otherwise. However, VDSL is even more sensitive to good domestic wiring than ADSL so it is as well to make sure it's optimised.. An installation with multiple extensions with microfilters hanging off them is not the way to go.
Standard User pouser
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:21:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes is will be FTTC

The openreach style box you pictured was in the house already and a further oblong box was installed from that and the modem plugged into that. Shows in this pic as vdsl modem?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g422/steve6501/w...

Steve

Edited by pouser (Wed 02-Sep-15 13:22:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:22:07
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Main inlet might be referring to a junction box but guessing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:54:18
Print Post

smile
Not "shown as". But "is". You appear to be calling it a white box, and calling the router a modem.

With self-install the Openreach modem (white box) is not normally supplied, and if there isn't a VDSL2 filter plate as per the picture MrSaffron posted you either use a dangly filter or get one of those and fit it yourself. (Which is usually a five-minute job).

Incidentally the phone socket in the diagram you give doesn't look at all correct. I don't know where you got it, but compare with MrSaffron's.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 02-Sep-15 14:56:32)

Standard User pouser
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:00:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

I don't have a picture of the actual install since I moved 18 months ago.

Why would I have needed the Vdsl modem and also a router?

BT Installed the kit for me.

S
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:14:04
Print Post

In the early years of FTTC all installations were by engineer and all had the stand-alone modem. This was so that Openreach had full control of what was attached to the line whilst they got to know how things would be in bulk usage, rather than small-volume testing.

The same happened with ADSL. It's just that most of us only know about self-install ADSLx.

The router could be anything you chose, and still can be. However, combo modem/routers such as we are used to on ADSLx have to conform to detailed Openreach specifications if you want to be sure of ongoing compatibility as they improve the FTTC technology.

BT Consumer, Sky and TalkTalk all now supply combos that they of course have ensured fit the specifications.

At the start when engineer installs were all you could have, there were two levels of that - in fact there still are. The basic job included checking the modem worked, the more expensive (to the ISP) job included installing the router (BT HomeHub for example).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User pouser
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:24:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the explanation.

I assume BT adjust the line at the Fibre cabinet, I install the modem and job is done

smile

Steve

Edited by pouser (Wed 02-Sep-15 15:33:53)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to