General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ChocoStarfish
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 18:34:50
Print Post

Help with my fibre (Alcatel-Lucent ONT)

[link to this post]

Hello everybody.

I live in Qatar and have exhausted all possibilities with my ISP's tech support. Between the language barrier and the way they seem to be reading from a list of bullet points, providing me with the same answers over and over that are completely unrelated to my issue, I just can't get anywhere.

I know this is a big ask, but I don't really have another option, so I hope that somebody here, with a bit more knowledge than myself, can help me.
I will try to provide all the information I can below.

I have a 100mb fibre service with Vodafone. The fibre cable plugs into an Alcatel-Lucent I-010G-P ONT/ONU (documentation on this product seems rather scarce), and this plugs into my router's WAN port via Ethernet.
I have two routers - the Technicolor TG789v3 that they supplied me with and an Asus RT-N66U that I purchased.

The broadband performs well speed wise, however, I absolutely cannot access anything in my home network from outside of my home network, no matter how I forward ports or enable/disable UPnP, on either router.

My router obtains a private IP in the region of 10.x.y.z) but my actual public IP is in the 80.x.y.z region.

The ports are definitely configured correctly because the same Asus router plugged into my house back in the UK works perfectly.

From the numerous e-mails and hours on the phone, I have managed to find out that I cannot receive a static IP from Vodafone Qatar without signing up for Corporate internet (~£1700/month), nor will they allow me to receive a dynamic public IP straight to my router.

The only other fibre provider in Qatar is Ooredoo, who have the exact same static/public IP policies.

I have read on another forum that somebody experiencing a similar problem (albeit in another country with a different ISP) set his router up in bridge mode and then connected to the internet and performed all port forwarding in the ONT itself, which worked for them.

I've tried to do this but I cannot find or figure out the IP of the Alcatel ONT anywhere. I've plugged it into my computer and ran ipconfig to look for the default gateway, but it's empty. I've ran several "router detector" programs, but they find nothing. I've also scoured the internet but the few default Alcatel IPs have found do not work. I even tried plugging the Alcatel's Ethernet cable into a LAN port on the router, but nothing shown up on the router's connected devices page.
Choosing "get WAN IP automatically" in my router in this setup results in no internet connection.
Vodafone will not help me in regards to accessing the ONT, or in regards to opening the ports some other way. Their response is that "no other customer requires this". Their technical support here is absolutely awful.

In work, it can sometimes be very useful to VNC into my home computer, and I also like to play online games. I can't do either of these right now as all my incoming connections are completely ignored.

I hope I've provided all the information you need, and I hope that somebody can help me forward some ports to my computer.

I also apologise in advance if I've overlooked something or done something wrong!

Regards,

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 18:59:35
Print Post

Re: Help with my fibre (Alcatel-Lucent ONT)

[re: ChocoStarfish] [link to this post]

If the Internet port of the Asus is receiving a private IP range address, then the ONT or the network itself may be providing you with a private LAN IP or the ONT is a NAT router in its own right.

Highly likely that you are on what is termed as carrier grade NAT

Why are online games not working? Even if double NAT most commercial games should work, on Carrier Grade NAT if this is not setup right this can cause gaming issues.

The issues may also be partly down to local internet filtering policies and rules, i.e. by not handing out public IP addresses it makes running private servers harder.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 19:10:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Games *can* work. My friend has an Arma3 and a Mumble server in France. Sometimes I can connect fine to them, other times I have to reboot the router several times before I can connect, and other times I just can't connect at all that night.

On my xbox, my NAT setting shows as closed. 99% of the time, I end up in a lobby on my own, despite the ports being forwarded correctly (the same router and the same xbox work fine in the UK. I even turned UPnP off and relied solely on the port forwarding, which still worked).

I've ran various port checking tools and used uTorrent to check for an open port.
Same problem there too - no incoming connections at all. But again, the same setup works fine in the UK where my router gets a public IP.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 19:29:33
Print Post

Carrier grade NAT is probably what happening then and some searching appears to confirm this will be your problem.

Carrier Grade NAT makes it easier to filter/block material and will also help if suppliers are short on IPv4 based addresses.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 19:49:58
Print Post

Thanks for the reply again.

I'm guessing there's no way round this for me?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 20:13:31
Print Post

Pay for a public IP or create an outbound private tunnel to somewhere if they allow outbound VPN

(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 20:42:58
Print Post

I definitely don't have £1700 to burn on a public IP, so I'll take a look at a static IP VPN.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Sep-15 21:22:09
Print Post

Let us known how you get on. It may help MrSaffron help others smile.

And good luck.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Fri 04-Sep-15 14:21:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hey again.

Sorry to revive this, but I updated my router's firmware today and tested my ports again.
This time, one appeared as open. This is the TCP protocol of a Murmur/Mumble server I have running just to attempt to keep the port open. Confused, I went to make myself a coffee. When I got back, I noticed that other packets had been received, but after the test had finished.
I ran the test at approx. 16:03. Here is a link to the screenshot of the port test:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82561235/porttes...

I've ran the test several times afterwards with a similar result. However, my Mumble/Murmur server is still not accessible from outside my network.

Is this typical of a CGNAT? I'd have thought that if the port wasn't open, then I just wouldn't receive the test packets at all?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Sep-15 14:58:19
Print Post

The trouble with CGNAT is that the external calls are not hitting your network - they are hitting the carriers network. They will not be passing the data for the packets from their public IP to your private IP - they have no way to sensibly do that on a network. If it is CGNAT then you will never see your internal network from the outside - you need your own public IP to do that.

I'm not entirely sure what benefit that port tester is giving you as it appears you are testing within the private network rather than testing access from the outside world.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to