General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ryan4227
(regular) Thu 03-Sep-15 08:42:35
Print Post

Line too long for fibre?

[link to this post]

I am trying to find better broadband for someone in a rural area. (Chinnor Oxfordshire).

I have checked the postcode and phone for the property and it advises me this is connected to Cabinet 7 on the Kingston Blount Exchange, Where and when was showing as an enabled area, but no fibre availability on the ADSL checker,

I emailed the local authority asking if they have go live date for this area, they emailed me back saying the area had gone live in June, they also mentioned because the property is over 2KM away from the cabinet he will be unable to order fibre. Does this sound correct?

Looking here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... Would it be because it falls below the 15MB target? He is currently on a 0.5 Mb connection at the moment so anything will be an improvement.

The postcode for reference is OX39 4BS

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Sep-15 08:53:42
Print Post

Re: Line too long for fibre?

[re: Ryan4227] [link to this post]

I know of several properties where the distance from cabinet in over 2.5km and they are getting reasonable speeds on an FTTC connection. Try plotting out the distance from cabinet to premises using Google Earth.

When you try the DSL checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address enter just the postcode followed by Submit. It will return a set of addresses - go through those and you will see that some can get FTTC.

Remember BT offers a sub-15Mbps package which does not use the Infinity name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 03-Sep-15 09:11:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ere take a look at this.

Going by what speed they get on ADSL2+ and FTTC on that cabinet I was shocked that they can order fibre.
CROFT, CHINNOR HILL, CHINNOR, OX39 4BS

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ryan4227
(regular) Thu 03-Sep-15 09:11:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

As i don't live in the area i am not sure exactly where the cabinet is located, It looks to be about 2.5KM from post code to post code.

Running that checker as mentioned shows several addresses with only one or two actually unable to get fibre. The estimates on the reast are upto 5Mb down with upto 1Mb up.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 03-Sep-15 09:24:51
Print Post

Cabinet 7 is located here: https://goo.gl/maps/tgQdX

Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Sep-15 09:24:54
Print Post

You need to get the person there to plot out where the cabinet is and where the other houses that can get fibre actually are relative to him and the cabinet. However, based on the ADSL and FTTC speeds available to those who can get FTTC it does suggest that property with just 0.5Mbps ADSL is very unlikely get anything from FTTC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User keith969
(learned) Thu 03-Sep-15 10:03:54
Print Post

Have you tried entering his number into the BT line checker?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Teleph...

If I enter just my postcode (I'm in Chinnor too, what a coincidence) rather than phone number into the checker, it tells me I can't get FTTC, if I enter my phone number it comes up with preetty much the speed I am getting.

I know that road reasonably well and it's a pretty long way up the hill from cab 7.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Sep-15 10:13:06
Print Post

The 15 Mbps cut off is simpler to go much further distance wise is harder to predict, so have left longer line lengths off that table.

Suffice to say that if anyone appears to be 2km from a cabinet I always say you may get nothing, a few do get something, but it all depends on thickness of the copper wiring openreach already has in place.

The estimates for the properties that can get FTTC in the postcode are so low that next step down is zero really and when you push VDSL2 that hard it may be less reliable than ADSL2+.

Edited by MrSaffron (Thu 03-Sep-15 10:14:52)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Fri 04-Sep-15 17:15:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Indeed. I can think of several houses that ordered FTTC on a 2.5km D-side and ended up having to go back to ADSL2 due to either constant disconnects or slower than ADSL speeds. In all cases there was nothing technically wrong with their lines.
  Print Thread

Jump to