General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(newbie) Sat 05-Sep-15 14:31:16
Print Post

Speed.

[link to this post]

I am considering signing up for fibre broadband and the only thing holding me back is the fact i currently get around 12 Mb/s, i don't download much but as with most families we have tablets, phones TV boxes constantly on the internet, if i make the change would i see page loading times speed up or is it just downloading that is much quicker?
Standard User troublegum
(regular) Sat 05-Sep-15 19:45:03
Print Post

Re: Speed.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
I am considering signing up for fibre broadband and the only thing holding me back is the fact i currently get around 12 Mb/s, i don't download much but as with most families we have tablets, phones TV boxes constantly on the internet, if i make the change would i see page loading times speed up or is it just downloading that is much quicker?

General browsing speeds would likely be the same.

Although generally described, as a speed increase, it would actually be a bandwidth increase meaning there is more capacity for all those devices using the connection at the same time.

It really depends on whether all those devices using the connection are causing you a problem or not. If not, then you probably won't see much benefit for browsing.

Edited by troublegum (Sat 05-Sep-15 19:45:41)

Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Sat 05-Sep-15 22:00:33
Print Post

It's very specific to the type of page. Some of those stuffed full of large amounts of rich media definitely load a lot faster. Simpler stuff (like TBB) tends not to make much difference. It won't be a night-and-day difference, but I notice it on some locations. Just a bit snappier.

One other thing to note is that if you are using old WiFi standards and/or suffer from a lot of local congestion, that can actually be notably slower than the broadband connection, especially if there are a few walls between you and the router. So the experience will vary, and just how well you can exploit it might depend on what you are using and your circumstances. The speed you have is probably sufficient for many people. Certainly enough for a couple of video channels plus some background.

nb. if you upload a lot, VDSL can often make a proportionately much bigger difference than on downloads. Going from 1mbps to 10mbps is a big step. It can make homeworking or video conferencing a great deal better.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 06-Sep-15 07:48:42
Print Post

And supplementing TheEulerID's comments, check your phone line, both outside from the exchange and inside over extensions etc, is "clean" by doing the Quiet Line Tests, before going any further.

For VDSL, the final part of the line from the PCP (D-Side) and within your house are particularly important.

Also try to get an accurate idea of the actual wire length of that D-side, as that also can affect the performance of VDSL.

Check this thread-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/f/4431459...

Also

orums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4432282-fttc-slower-than-old-adsl2-connection.html?vc=1

Edited by eckiedoo (Sun 06-Sep-15 07:54:17)

(newbie) Sun 06-Sep-15 09:16:28
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Thanks to all that replied.
Standard User keith969
(learned) Sun 06-Sep-15 12:05:08
Print Post

I switched from ADSL2+ with 15/0.8 down/up speeds to Infinity2, now I get about 50/8. To be honest I don't really notice page loads being any quicker, but downloading and especially uploading large files is definitely speedier.
(newbie) Sat 12-Sep-15 20:19:49
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Thanks.
  Print Thread

Jump to