General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User vit0
(member) Sat 05-Sep-15 21:16:41
Print Post

BT Infinity - Engineer Install

[link to this post]

Hi!

I've ordered BT FTTC today, I've paid extra for an "engineer install" which I presumed would mean the engineer who did the cabinet work would come to the house. After I placed my order it said activation is 23rd September, engineer visit is 24th September. To me that suggests a BT engineer is going to come to my house just to plug in the Homehub?

If that is the case then maybe if my line stats are fine after the activation I might cancel the engineer visit the day before and hopefully get a refund.

Thoughts?

The reason I've requested an engineer install: Line Routing

Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Sep-15 23:39:45
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - Engineer Install

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

Engineer installs are usually done a few minutes after they've switched over the line at the cabinet and they visit your home to sort everything out.

Two visits on two different days would be odd.

Cancelling on the day before is usually too late to miss paying at least something usually too, since engineers are allocated and thus you waste a slot in the schedule.

As you have odd routing it may be a visit the day before to resolve and check all that, and then the usual install stuff on the 24th, i.e. you are not a pure standard install

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vit0
(member) Mon 07-Sep-15 17:05:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Engineer installs are usually done a few minutes after they've switched over the line at the cabinet and they visit your home to sort everything out.

Two visits on two different days would be odd.

Cancelling on the day before is usually too late to miss paying at least something usually too, since engineers are allocated and thus you waste a slot in the schedule.

As you have odd routing it may be a visit the day before to resolve and check all that, and then the usual install stuff on the 24th, i.e. you are not a pure standard install

Thanks Andrew,
With BT retail is it more likely to be a BT engineer or could it still be a third party engineer e.g.Kellys?

Cheers,
Lee

Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 17:18:03
Print Post

BT Retail has no more influence on who is actually sent than any other provider

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vit0
(member) Sun 20-Sep-15 18:22:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Seems like activation is the day before engineer visit as suspected:
Order Tracker

Lee
Standard User vit0
(member) Thu 24-Sep-15 22:58:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by vit0:
Seems like activation is the day before engineer visit as suspected:
Order Tracker

Install went well yesterday, waitied for Homehub to sync then went up to the cabinet for a chat with the BT engineer. It turns out my number was documented as being in the correct cabinet so there were no problems.
Cancelled my engineer install for today as all was well.

Sync speeds over 400m:
Data Rate: 9999 / 39998
Maximum Data Rate: 32546 / 90689

Lee
  Print Thread

Jump to