General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(member) Mon 07-Sep-15 21:33:38
Print Post

G.FAST on Demand? FTTP2? Product overlap?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been doing some research into G.FAST and come up with some interesting conclusions. Yes they are a bit off the wall!

G.FAST isn't FTTDP necessarily.

If you're near enough to an existing cabinet you'll likely be able to order G.FAST. Why?

1) Deployment can be done on demand based on orders for 330 G.FAST products - within distance limitations. Cut down demand. But gives a nice return.
2) No civil engineering is required. Civils are bad..
3) Work can be undertaken by third party engineer. Why not an Openreach engineer? They are committed to BDUK for a very very long time.
4) There is room in the existing cab for a G.FAST module. The cab has power it is also compatible with the FTTP2 2.5Gbps/10Gbps G-PON due to the fact it has a C-WDM splitter pre-installed unless it was one of the original 2010 cabs then you are SOL.

So. From research I've done it looks like this is possible.

At 500 you can get 50 Mbps FTTC and 100Mbps G.Fast.
At 400 you can get 63 MBps FTTC and 200Mbps G.Fast.
At 300 you can get 76 Mbps FTTC and 280Mbps G.Fast.
At 200 you can get 80 Mbps FTTC and 300Mbps G.Fast.

In my area 100,000 properties 30-40% would get >200 Mbps. Maybe ish.

Note: The FTTC figures are not exact but based on real data. The G.FAST is a rough guess but also based on real data. I think BT are getting better results due to the quality of the equipment being far better than they had anticipated.

Also BT have said FTTP2 is ready to go and that is a precursor to G.FAST as G.FAST uses 10Gbps FTTP2 backhaul - all that is required is a new line card.

So will FTTP2 follow a similar principle and be available on demand. Will G.FAST FTTDP fit into that same on demand model?

So is this how it might go?

FTTC <600 meters (rolled out 2016/17)
===============
- G.FAST on demand 300Mbps with zero build cost.
- FTTP2 on demand 1Gbps/10Gbps with low build cost. NO 330 OD

FTTC >600 meters (>2018)
===============
- FTTDP on demand 330Mbps with build cost
- FTTP2 on demand 1/10Gbps with build cost

FTTP Area (2015???)
========
- FTTP2 on demand 1Gbps

Actually why bother with FTTP2 OD.... Hmmm.

?? Any ideas?

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
BT Infinity FTTP 80Mbps/20Mbps
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14188...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 21:45:12
Print Post

Re: G.FAST on Demand? FTTP2? Product overlap?

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

Have seen zero indication that G.Fast will be an on demand product.

Around half of cabinet to premises lines are under 400 metre long, which is around the 200 Mbps point
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6824-vdsl2-has-no...

Varied deployments of in cab (or next to), down pavement chambers or on poles or in buildings are all on the product path, and VDSL2 is already being deployed in mini cabs and in buildings in limited numbers.

G.fast hardware will also be capable of VDSL2, so existing FTTrN deployments may see hardware swap outs to give g.fast functionality.

FTTP is the eventual end goal, but no timetable set, a lot will hinge on whether costs and time to install can be shown to be less in summer trials and then the balance between G.fast and FTTP will be worked out.

NOTE: The GPON for FTTP never actually goes to the cabinets, it is fully passive between the exchange and the premise. The need for no power in the street explains why some areas get P versus C now beyond doing a sprinkling of FTTP.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User garethr
(member) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:06:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have seen zero indication that G.Fast will be an on demand product.

Around half of cabinet to premises lines are under 400 metre long, which is around the 200 Mbps point
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6824-vdsl2-has-no...

Varied deployments of in cab (or next to), down pavement chambers or on poles or in buildings are all on the product path, and VDSL2 is already being deployed in mini cabs and in buildings in limited numbers.

G.fast hardware will also be capable of VDSL2, so existing FTTrN deployments may see hardware swap outs to give g.fast functionality.

<SNIP>

NOTE: The GPON for FTTP never actually goes to the cabinets, it is fully passive between the exchange and the premise. The need for no power in the street explains why some areas get P versus C now beyond doing a sprinkling of FTTP.

Very good points.

Yes I've seen no indication of G.FAST OD either.. Just floating the idea out there and seeing if it sinks or not.

Speed distance figures I used are a guess! But based on some real figures. I'm not claiming they're right!

FTTRN gaining G.FAST is a very very good point!

Isn't an FTTC cabinet a GPON endpoint? That was my point.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:08:17
Print Post

from the business ROI point of view, on demand or some kind of pre interest campaign makes sense.

As spending money to deploy pole based boxes, that may never get used seems wasteful, its higher risk than cabinets as cabinets cover much more properties.

Also I think getting people to move from vdsl services to g.fast will be much harder than from adsl to vdsl.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:12:45
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Cabinets cover more properties, but G.fast nodes usually just hand 8 to 16 lines each

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:14:13
Print Post

No the FTTC is point to point fibre, GPON for any FTTP is fed from the aggregation node, usually in the ground near to a cabinet but needs no power

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Sep-15 23:57:51
Print Post

There will obviously be a demand component to where BT deploy G.fast, but it's not going to be a product deployed as a bespoke build in the manner that FTTPoD / FoD currently is.

Where BT think there will be high demand for ultrafast, or they have a good relationship with a local area that indicates chance of a high uptake they will build first.

Areas with a high proportion of FTTP almost universally on 80Mb or less will be interesting.

There will be another ultrafast option in your area at some point in the future.
Standard User garethr
(member) Tue 08-Sep-15 00:17:30
Print Post

OK. Maybe I didn't put my point across very well. It's GPON p2p without the splitter.

Gareth
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:20:29
Print Post

What do you mean by FTTP2?

In some of your post, it looks like you mean XGPON. In other parts, it looks like you are talking about FTTPoD mk.II

And where have BT said FTTP2 is ready to go?
Standard User AndyHCZ
(committed) Tue 08-Sep-15 11:43:58
Print Post

The G.fast trial uses 1G L2S handovers in Gosforth. The 10G trial is for FoD2/G.fast (solely in Huntingdon).

It's important to note that, as far I am aware, the G.fast trial does not use or involve existing cabs. The DPUs are strategically placed (which probably explains why the vast majority of trial postcodes have estimated max headline speeds).

Edited by AndyHCZ (Tue 08-Sep-15 20:30:22)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to