General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burble
(learned) Mon 07-Sep-15 22:52:53
Print Post

Speed after router switched off.

[link to this post]

A few weeks back I had FTTC, from the start it gave around 5.7MB on the speed test, last week was away and had switched all sockets off including the one for my Hauwei router, been back and powered up just over a day and it's giving 3.8MB on the speed test although it shows as linked at 5595kb, will I need to wait for it to rise with time or has something else causing this?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Sep-15 23:02:54
Print Post

Re: Speed after router switched off.

[re: burble] [link to this post]

5595 Kilo bits per second ie very slow?

Which provider? Might be worth finding out what ip profile they are using for the line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(learned) Tue 08-Sep-15 00:01:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's throu TalkTalk, prior to having FTTC experienced a couple of weeks of drop outs, as soon as FTTC went live all was fine.
Tried the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test but 'further diagnostics' won't work, says try later, so can't check ip profile at moment.
Guess I'll have to see what happens over next couple of days before going throu the pain of TalkTalk customer service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 08-Sep-15 13:42:12
Print Post

The second part of the BTW Performance Test doesn't work on non-BT Wholesale broadband, which is why you can't get the further diagnostics.

Specifically, all the second part does is pick up the IP Profile and combine it with the part 1 test results so they can give the fancy report.

IP Profile is purely a BT Wholesale thing. Sky/TalkTalk and Vodafone don't have it.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User burble
(learned) Tue 08-Sep-15 22:55:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I did wonder if that was the case.
Any idea how long it normally takes to get back up to speed? 5.7 might not be great, but it's better than 3.8. frown

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
Standard User TheEulerID
(committed) Wed 09-Sep-15 10:18:40
Print Post

The downstream noise margin, at 7.9dB is on the high side, which will knock the speed down a bit as, with a more normal 6dB, there's about 2dB in hand. It might be because the line is noisy and a bit prone to drop-outs.

Unfortunately the downstream attenuation is high, so this is never going to be stellar. However, just to make sure the potential performance is baselined properly, what's the domestic wiring setup like? Do you have any extensions, and if so, are they filtered at the master socket. VDSL is even more sensitive to interference than ADSL. If there are extensions, and it hasn't been done before, it's always worth checking baseline performance by using the test socket under the faceplate, assuming you have a modern master.

Also, do you know how far you are from the cabinet? From the downstream attenuation I suspect it's somewhere in the 1.3-1.5km region.

One thing I can't square with your stats is the upstream attenuation (which is relatively low by my standards) yet the speed rate is dreadful. I can only assume this is a quirk of the way upstream frequency bands are allocated and that the higher frequency set is being avoided.
Standard User burble
(learned) Wed 09-Sep-15 20:01:53
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

The master socket is a mk3, fitted when going FTTC, no extensions etc, just the modem on it's original lead and a phone.
Yes we are on a long bit of copper from the fibre cabinet, and 5.8MB originally getting was about as expected even thou the line checkers indicated that higher speeds where possible.
Our upload speed has always been higher than might be expected considering the download speed.
Prior to about 4 weeks before FTTC went live we had a rock solid(but slow) ADSL connection, we then suffered many drop outs, but since FTTC it has not to my knowledge had any drop outs apart from being switched off whilst on holiday.
Standard User burble
(learned) Wed 16-Sep-15 22:27:46
Print Post

By saturday I got fed up and phoned TalkTalk help line, after about a hour and them testing the line it was concluded that my line had a fault, so a visit from 'bright sparks' engineer was booked for today.
Came home from work 3 hours early for visit, engineer looked at set up in the house, all was ok with that (as I already knew and had told them), he ran a line check and got the same results as I did (poor). He rang talktalk up told them there was a fault on the line and to get openreach in to check line.
He was a nice enough chap but what a frigging waste of time sending him out for this.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 16-Sep-15 22:39:21
Print Post

Possibly a waste in your case, but overall probably worth doing.

In many cases the problem is on the customer's premises. A TalkTalk engineer, that this sounds like, can do this at no direct cost to them or you. Yes they have to have the person on their payroll, but I'm sure they wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't cost-effective.

If an Openreach engineer comes out in the first place and the problem is not external, the ISP will be charged over £100. TalkTalk cannot absorb that sort of thing at their prices, and customer's don't expect to be hit with such a bill when it is passed on.

Only Openreach can touch the external wiring of course.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User burble
(learned) Thu 17-Sep-15 18:07:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Got a series of texts today about an engineer checking the line and fixing it, got home to find no improvement.

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):