@MrSaffron posted a new story on North Yorkshire, due to some PR happening...
Whenever this happens, it seems to mean that a council meeting has considered a new report from SFNY, and today seems to be no different.
The report can be found on the council website. In time, the minutes will appear too, so you can see what was said:
- Phase 1 complete. Payments based on budget; true-up reconciliation due in next 6 months, but no figures of expected return specified. I dont expect much, if any.
- Phase 2 ongoing
- Phase 3 proposal: To extend the contract with BT, and add additional infill coverage plus coverage spending clawback money, to reach 95%. I think the "infill" coverage is for USC purposes.
- No mention of technology involved, no mention of FTTRN.
- No timescale for phase 3, but not likely to complete before 2018/19.
- Takeup expected to reach 30% by end of 2015
- Takeup in phase 2 even higher than phase 1.
- Clawback quote: "BT are proposing early payment of Phase 1 Overage, with an assumption of 30% take up. This equates to £7.8m of additional funding that can be recycled immediately, with the proviso that this is used to deliver additional infrastructure with BT."
- Coverage of 25Mbps+ speeds ends up as: Phase 1 = 84%, Phase 2 = 88%, Phase 3 = 95%
- Contract with BT, for USC, allows for 2% to be left to satellite. Previous reports had this at 1%.
- Interim satellite solution - being planned and trialled by BDUK for national rollout in December.
- Recommends NY takes part in the interim satellite solution.
- Risk - needs £1m funding from EU in 2016.
- Risk - needs EU to extend state aid approval (NY-specific).
The funding seems different from the front page story, in both total and breakdown. Not sure why.