General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jasonht
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 17:57:47
Print Post

connected to two cabinets

[link to this post]

Hello all, in my recent attempts to try and get fibre broadband for my new home i've found out from openreach directly i'm apparently connected to two cabinets, cabinet 50 and 55 of my street.

First of all, how is this even possible?

Secondly - according to this reason apparently i'm not allowed to get superfast fibre due to this. I checked online on the websites of sky and BT and they said i was allowed to order last week, but did not order as im due to move in october. Now i'm looking to order ready it says i'm not able to get fibre at my property. I have tried emailing openreach direct and they gave conflicting answers then eventually came up with the above excuse. How is this even possible?

Also furthermore, when i spoke to Sky on their webchat they said to bypass their online ordering system and just order fibre broadband - if i type in my address manually it allows me to order (rather unsurprising as next door can order it, as can the other side - it appears my house is a grey area!!!) - but i'm worried if i order it and pay for it - what will happen if they cannot provide fibre? will they just charge me and i wont receive a service or what? Whats my rights regarding this?

Thanks all for your help.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Sep-15 18:43:32
Print Post

Re: connected to two cabinets

[re: jasonht] [link to this post]

In very limited instances there maybe a link cable between 2 pcps if one has run out of usable e- sides ( Exchange to PCP cable).
E.g your home could be connected to pcp 55 but there may not have been any usable pairs back to the exchange when the line was connected, so a link to PCP 50 is used ,then an e side from PCP 50 to the exchange.
This could be a problem getting openreach to connect your line.
If they don't you won't get charged.

Edited by Ribble (Wed 09-Sep-15 18:47:01)

Standard User jasonht
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 18:48:33
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Does this mean i have no chance in getting fibre?

I tried looking on https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm for my postcode (SO53 4TT - [removed house and street for privacy concerns]) and both cabinets have Fibre. yet when i order online i cannot get fibre.

I don't understand it personally, surely if both have fibre why can't i order it? next door (**) can order it??

Edited by jasonht (Wed 09-Sep-15 19:46:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:28:25
Print Post

[re: jasonht] [link to this post]

It's not a good idea to post your full address on a public forum that Google crawls! I suggest you edit it out ASAP.

Postcode is sort of safe, and PM full address to anyone you trust if you wish.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Sep-15 19:28:59)

Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:31:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's not a good idea to post your full address on a public forum that Google crawls! I suggest you edit it out ASAP.

Postcode is sort of safe, and PM full address to anyone you trust if you wish.
Yeah, just postcodes are safe unless your address is the only one on that postcode wink.

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:44:13
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

A postcode can be served by 1,2,3,4 or 5 or more cabinets. This can arise where two cabinet areas meet, or due to historical reasons.

All that matters is which cabinet your address is linked to and in this case ifs cabinet 50 on Chandlers Ford exchange, which is showing as live for other addresses connected to it and you are not a long way from the cabinet so it is not a distance issue.

This looks like a checker fault and providers should ideally handle this as that is why you pay them, but if you get nowhere we can feed this into the Openreach management levels as a user with a checker error. So try the provider once more and if you get no where email Andrew@thinkbroadband.com (me) with the address and phone number and will get it passed on.

Errors like this do happen

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jasonht
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:48:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hello - i have no phone number as of yet as i am just about to move in.

I will email you the full details perhaps and you can investigate?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:50:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Yeah, just postcodes are safe unless your address is the only one on that postcode wink.
Like SW1A 1AA?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:17:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was talking about when you enter a postcode into the DSL Checker and it returns the speed information without any address selection.

Try this postcode LL65 4YN
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.Ad...

I.e. showing that there is only one address at that postcode.

Paul
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:18:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Like SW1A 1AA?
No, that returns several addresses to pick from.

Try this one LL65 4YN

Paul
  Print Thread

Jump to