General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Carlos2006
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 20:31:35
Print Post

BT's Superfast is only fast

[link to this post]

Hi all

I think this is my first post here even though it appears that I have registered in 2005?

Two Years ago we moved into this new build house along with other neighbours into theirs.
We are 20 houses at SN10 2FX and only the first ten could have "Faster Broadband". When BT installed it we could get around 13Mbps (D/L). 2 years later we still can only get that speed. Our cabinet number is 30 which to me sits less than 1 mile away from our street so the D/L speed should be higher, specially when these are all new houses with new copper wires.
BT website claims that I should get 18 to 27 Mbps, but this is not the case.

An engineer was here once checking everything, but has not found any problems. "It is the distance" he said.

Now my question... Will BT ever put a cabinet closer to our group of houses? And if they do will they change us to the closer cabinet? The engineer said that it was very unlikely that they'd move us even if a closer cabinet was available.

Are we all doomed at this postcode?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 20:37:41
Print Post

Re: BT's Superfast is only fast

[re: Carlos2006] [link to this post]

Define the time period involved in 'ever'

There are trials of G.fast which uses smaller hardware and gives higher speeds over short distances that might start to be rolled out in 2016/2017, of course no info yet on who will get it first or how far they expect to go.

In the 10 to 15 year time frame you might even see fibre to the home, i.e. fibre optic all the way to the insider of the home. Again a big might.

Other providers like Virgin Media and TalkTalk are expanding but if your postcode is in the right spot I doubt they'll appear a couple of miles north of Devizes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Carlos2006
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 20:57:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

"Ever" to me would be within the next couple of years. If that's too early then I better forget about Highspeed broadband, fiber or whatever other names they give to it.

13 MBPS is ADSL2 speed range

Possibly as you say it's competition that might bring some light to the very dark tunnel.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:34:17
Print Post

or you as a community could co /fund a cab with openraeach close to your village
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 11-Sep-15 03:24:44
Print Post

you need to wait for g.fast is the bad news.

BT wont reroute a line most of the time just to satisfy a customer's wants, but if the marketing department wants it done so higher speeds can be marketed then the money appears.

So basically its unlikely a reroute will be done (but not impossible as has been proven) but more likely the node will be moved nearer to you via g.fast.

To give you an idea how tight BT are my engineer told me he has been told to avoid doing work where the cost can be measured in double figures only, he has told me some stories, one is where he could have doubled someone's speed with a 30-60 minute job But was told if the line is within spec dont do it, in spec meaning within acceptable ranges of estimated speed and FTR, note if a line is below both those figures BT will often still consider it within spec, it usually has to be significantly below or fail a GEA/SIN test. Some area managers wont approve jobs until its raised to complaints. All to keep costs down, save those pennies. When aware of these stories, its not hard to see why BT is regulated, as they are happy to do the absolute minimum.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
  Print Thread

Jump to