General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Storm_Force
(regular) Sat 12-Sep-15 21:49:44
Print Post

Changing master socket to vDSL faceplate

[link to this post]

Hi all

I had infinity installed last Monday, self install. My old hub used to run of an extension in the front room, so I got the email to say fibre was live chucked the hub 5 in and checked the speeds and no where near expected circa 15mb should be well over 30mb.

So I was reading another thread on here and connected the hub to the master socket test socket using two micro filters so basically the broadband is split at the master socket and not going to the 6 extension sockets around the house and these current have voice only now.

It did solve the speed issue to some degree and connected just over 30mb (its does for reason like to resync at 15mb ish for some reason now again)

Any how the current setup it no good long term as the master socket is inside the left of the front door and the plug socket is over on the right by the stairs, so currently got cables across the doorway not ideal with two young kids.

What I need advice with is I am thinking of getting a Mk2 or Mk3 vDSL plate the idea is to use the terminals inside the supply the broadband using the wires for the nearest extension to connect to the hub eg making it a broadband socket only will this work ok?

Also can someone explain why there is only two wires used from the incoming BT cable to the master socket yet all the extensions have 4 wires 2 blue and 2 orange?

Thanks

Edited by Storm_Force (Sat 12-Sep-15 21:50:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-Sep-15 21:59:12
Print Post

Re: Changing master socket to vDSL faceplate

[re: Storm_Force] [link to this post]

Extensions only actually need the wires on pins 2 and 5 connected, having pin 3 connected (ring wire) is why you have problems, as well as six extensions being very bad for VDSL2.

The concept you have for a broadband only socket is fine but in a perfect world you would run the modem at the master socket to reduce the chance of interference

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Sat 12-Sep-15 22:45:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Tell me about it! The joys of living in house less than 10 years old, exetension sockets in every room nearly.

Does the vDSL faceplate isolate termals 3,4 to the extensions? Or is it best to cut the wires?

Would it be best to get an extension kit to run the broadband to the hub (less than 5 metres if i run cable around the front door)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 12-Sep-15 23:09:40
Print Post

Wire 4 does nothing but yes it isolates effect of 3 and the bridge taps that voice extensions create

5 metre from the broadband idc terminals should be fine

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Sep-15 23:20:33
Print Post

Do all the extensions stop working if you unplug the filter from the test socket, or in fact if I understand correctly the second filter from the first? If so, then a fix of the kind you and MrSaffron are discussing will be fine.

If any continue to work though you need to sort out the star wiring that would indicate.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(regular) Sun 13-Sep-15 09:40:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes none off the extensions work if disconnected from the master, i will remove wires 3 and 4 from the master socket do i need to remove them from all extensions?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Sep-15 09:59:48
Print Post

Should be no need to, but even with 3&4 removed the bridge tap effect of six extensions could still have an adverse impact on VDSL2

(regular) Sun 13-Sep-15 22:03:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok so I have removed the wires going into pins 3 and 4 and also one of the pairs into 2 and 5 as after testing the sockets this went into the front bedroom which for some reason has two sockets it wasn't even connected to anything just taped up inside the box.

(so now only two wires are connected instead of a total 8 before)

Just done a speed test here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

At the moment I have now got a MK2 vDSL faceplate so the hub is plugged into.
(regular) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:47:35
Print Post

Anyone shed some light on why data rate is so much lower than maximum data rate?

6. Data rate: 6145 / 12915
7. Maximum data rate: 6145 / 31449
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 14-Sep-15 21:51:20
Print Post

Need to see the noise margin as well as attenuation and DSLChecker estimate preferably
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to