General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 13:42:59
Print Post

FTTC now available - BT contract expired BUT!

[link to this post]

I looked at TBB's offers page and for £12.50pm for 12mths I could get up to 38Mbps follow the order and they want £23 for existing customer for same deal. So I have to move to get a deal - seems dumb but so be it.
Where can I find ratings please for Plusnet vs TTalk vs Sky <- started trawling threads here but got bogged down and figure there is a TBB place where this has already been distilled wink
Only discovered today my BT contract expired in April when BT's Indian support told me that the replacement HomeHub4 [mine randomly reboots] would not be arriving after all as the contract had expired [moving house 5 days before last Xmas blew stuff like this right out of my brain duh! not to mention the 6 week delay getting the BT line in - I was fairly compensated by BT however]
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Sep-15 13:51:35
Print Post

Re: FTTC now available - BT contract expired BUT!

[re: jayteepics] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html lets you pick the providers where we have a decent number of ratings to allow comparison.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 14-Sep-15 14:01:57
Print Post

I believe BT have a retentions department. If you rang them saying you are about to leave because the "New Customer" deal on FTTC is not available to you, the result may be of interest to you.

Wise to gen up on other provider's offers first of course, so you can compare whatever offer is made against those as well as the New Customer deal. The second offer may be even more interesting smile.

Good luck, and please let us know if you do get an offer, and what you do.

Edit - Note - the retentions department, not the sales department.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 14-Sep-15 14:02:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(member) Mon 14-Sep-15 14:28:37
Print Post

BT retentions dept 0800 587 7216
Do not necessarily accept first offer. If you aren't happy decline and ring to speak to another adviser
You should be able to get near current offers (excluding vouchers/cashbacks)

Edited by 961a (Mon 14-Sep-15 14:30:06)

Standard User keith969
(regular) Mon 14-Sep-15 14:35:18
Print Post

If you're not on a contract with BT, then they will replace your hub but they charge £40 for a new one. I complained and they reduced the broadband cost (I was on ADSL2 at the time) quite a bit. Of course now I'm on FTTC they have put the price up frown

It's worth calling their retentions dept as they can often do something, however it's a bit of a lottery...
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 15:57:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew a very valuable link wink
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 16:01:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS
Got no offer nada zilch!
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 16:02:50
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

Thanks for that number 961a
Unfortunately no movement whatsoever frown
Standard User jayteepics
(learned) Mon 14-Sep-15 16:26:09
Print Post

I realise as has been stated that perseverance might get the BT price down a bit, but the last 4 weeks of dealing with BT support in India did it for me.
Those bar charts Andrew pointed me to tells me that Plusnet may be the better choice anyway based on all metrics including deal price.

If you don't mind can I ask the forum a couple of specific questions regarding Plusnet ?
I hope it's OK to ask here rather than start a new thread.

1) PNet states that the engineer needs to place the fibre router adjacent to the OR master

"The fibre version comes with an extra cable to connect it to the Openreach modem. Unlike the BT Home Hub 5 and Sky Hub, the Plusnet Hub Zero doesn't have a built-in modem, so you'll still need an engineer to install one"

I know it's against all advice BUT my existing HHub4 is on an extension socket (brand new house FWIW) and currently on ADSL2 (max?) I'm getting the 18Mbps as advertised

It's in the room above the sitting room where the master is located. Thing is I'd prefer to use 1Gig ethernet and don't want CATx cabling nor do I want homeplugs [had too many Solwise AV500's pack up on me. The PNet site says the engineer can fit extended wiring, will this go through a ceiling??

2) Does the PNet router have 1 Gig ethernet, I couldn't tell from the image I looked at?

3) I've prepaid BT for line rental and have a good 3 months left, will I lose this? or will BT refund it, or will PNet adjust accordingly?

Sorry in advance for not posting a new topic but I wanted to convey the outcome and get some extra advice.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Sep-15 16:29:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by jayteepics:
It's in the room above the sitting room where the master is located. Thing is I'd prefer to use 1Gig ethernet and don't want CATx cabling nor do I want homeplugs

How can you run Gbit Ethernet without Cat5e or Cat6 cabling?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to