General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AdamW86
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-15 13:38:39
Print Post

FTTC - Newtown, Powys

[link to this post]

Afternoon,

I have been having a bit an off conversation with BT and a few other ISP's over the availability for fibre broadband at my premises. It seems the exchange and various cabinets around the town have been upgraded to fibre since the begining of the year. I have also checked the Superfast Wales site and it also states fibre is enabled at my property.

This is where the confusion starts as the quoted speeds from BT and sky are around 2-4mbps connection, slower than my current ADSL broadband. BT say I am connected to cabinet 5 which is over 1.5 miles away from my property, but there is a cabinet somewhat 200 yards from my front door. Over the past 2 days BT have installed a new FTTC cabinet next to the old cabinet at the bottom of my road and it states on the roadworks live map that BT are laying cables over the next week. I have checked on the BT wholesale site for my address and various other addresses around this cabinet but all of them seem to be connected to Cabinet 5 in the town centre 1.5miles away.

I am confused as to why over 100 houses are connected to a cabinet 1.5 miles away when there is already a cabinet at the entrance to the estate and it has been recently upgraded. There are no other houses for at least 5 miles that would be connected to this new cabinet. Is it at all possible I will see some sort of increase in my speeds?

Superfast Wales say that the cabinet by my house is being upgraded but none of the houses around it are connected to it. It makes no sense.

My postcode is SY16 2TA if that is of any help.

Thanks.

Adam
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Sep-15 13:54:41
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Newtown, Powys

[re: AdamW86] [link to this post]

So has the plastic cab at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5236669,-3.2937704... being replaced by a new metal cabinet and a second cabinet (the second one having air vent slots in it).

The roadworks.org gives a strong hint, as it is talking about PCP19 which is actually a new cabinet for the exchange, suggesting that the existing cabinet is a sub cabinet from 5 and you will eventually find your phone number shifting to cabinet 19 once it is all up and running.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Sep-15 14:14:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As above except I believe the new cabinet maybe and all in one.

Edited by Ribble (Tue 15-Sep-15 19:25:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AdamW86
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-15 15:27:51
Print Post

The existing plastic cabinet present in the map image is still there. A new larger green cabinet has been installed about 1 metre from it. The new cabinet is a darker green and has air vents.

So do you think the new cabinet will be FTTC, and then the adjoining housing estate will be connected to it instead of cabinet 5?

Thanks for the replies
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Sep-15 15:36:28
Print Post

In short yes. So keep an eye out for more work, e.g. fibre blowing etc and the checker changing to say cabinet 19

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AdamW86
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-15 10:29:31
Print Post

The cabinet has now been installed and judging to example pictures on the internet is seems to be a Huawei all in one cabinet.

Does that mean the old PCP cabinet will be removed?
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Sep-15 13:29:38
Print Post

Does that mean the old PCP cabinet will be removed?

I sussepect you will have the pleasure of seeing that for many years to come.
Standard User AdamW86
(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:09:12
Print Post

Bit of an update, the new cabinet has been installed and Openreach have been there for past 2 days working around the new and old cabinets.

They have cleared up and gone now and have just sprayed NOT IN USE on the old cabinet. I've checked the BT checker and I am still down as Cabinet 5.

Is there any time period for BT to switch us over? Is it likely they will switch us to the new cabinet?

My regular broadband has now gone even slower over past 2 weeks. Topping a massive 2.2mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:25:05
Print Post

If the old plastic one is marked not in use then the copper has been moved across already. The checkers do not update in real time, but will take a few days to reflect

The copper can go through the new cab even if the FTTC is not live, i.e. designed that way so if there is a power failure and cabinets batteries run out you can still make emergency phone calls.

Standard User AdamW86
(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-15 18:49:09
Print Post

What are the chances that it won't even be fibre activated?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to