General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User althetog
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-15 23:25:45
Print Post

4th Delay to fibre rollout in 3 years

[link to this post]

I posted an earlier version of this on the BTwholesale DSL Implementation forum, but was told this is a better place to post.

The story so far...
My address on the AUGHTON GREEN exchange is served by Cabinet 6.

In May 2013, the expected availability of superfast broadband at my cabinet was quoted as 30 September 2013
By 30 September 2013, the expected availability was 31 May 2014
By May 2014, the expected availability was 30 September 2014
By 30 September 2014, the expected availability was 30 September 2015.
Now, 15 September 2015, the expected availability is showing as 31 March 2017, yes, 2017 !!!

That's 4 years after the originally quoted date - what's going on?

"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Cabinet to be enabled between Apr-16 and Mar-17. Date to be confirmed once the survey is complete.."

This is no longer even mildly amusing. The new cabinet has been in position for over a year, and apparently awaits a connection under the roadway to the old cabinet.
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Sep-15 09:25:34
Print Post

Re: 4th Delay to fibre rollout in 3 years

[re: althetog] [link to this post]

It looks like the very first cabinet on the exchange to go live did so in February 2014, originally planned in the same phases as cab 6. Cabs 3 and 7 appear to be still waiting too - and all are down to be part of the commercial rollout.

Two cabs have subsequently gone live through BDUK, plus one more still waiting (ironically, the one that was planned first of the three).

The cabs that I have seen wait the longest, on the edges of the commercial rollout, have been there because of three things: power is proving to be prohibitively expensive; a proper site cannot be found (meeting both the needs for safe human accessibility above ground, and cable accessibility below ground); a lot of duct blockages with council restrictions in allowing roadworks (being near a school can play havoc, or a crucial access road).

Even though you cannot see the reason, there is likely to be one, and it is likely to be a tricky one.

However, nowadays, BT are being driven hard to meet their BDUK contract commitments - and we're in the middle of their biggest delivery period now. When they get pressured on that side, it isn't a surprise that some of their (self-funded, self-planned) commercial cabinets take something of a back seat. This is likely to mean that your cabinet is not tightly planned.

Unfortunately, BT have fallen foul of ASA in situations like yours: People have complained that BT aren't giving accurate dates, and ASA have agreed and ordered BT to do something about it.

The complainants probably expected BT to keep their plans in the same manner as before, and then pull their finger out to do something to make the cab live.

Nope. Instead, BT just publish an extremely loose plan for the problematic cabinet: "It'll be done sometime in the next two years".

Unfortunately, for BT, it is better to keep pushing forwards with the straightforward cabinets to keep meeting the coverage targets. The ones with problems take a more scenic route through the planning department. The ones with severe problems are hitch-hiking.
Standard User althetog
(newbie) Wed 16-Sep-15 10:04:04
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks WWWombat. I like the analogy in your last para.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User althetog
(newbie) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:10:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Hi Wombat,

The http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ website confirms that I'm on Cabinet 6 of Aughton Green exchange, using postcode L39 4UJ to search.
However, the Google map shows the position of another cabinet, and Google Streetview shows this to be Cabinet 9.

Surely this can't be the explanation for a 3 year delay - that BT Openreach don't know where their cabinets are located!

Any idea how I can report this discrepancy?
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:19:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by althetog:
Surely this can't be the explanation for a 3 year delay - that BT Openreach don't know where their cabinets are located!

Don't you mean 2 year wait?
Your exchange was only upgraded Feb 2014 and according to the BTOR Site they haven't started work on your cabinet yet.

Paul
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:25:46
Print Post

Any idea how I can report this discrepancy?
Where's the discrepancy? Rather than focus on the location of cab 9 why not try and locate cab 6, the one to which you are connected? It could be that BT are having problems in getting a power supply for the FTTC cab or that the ducts required for the fibre feed are blocked or even, heaven forbid, someone has objected to the proposed location of the FTTC cab and its installation is being blocked by your council.
Standard User althetog
(newbie) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:36:36
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

I know where cab 6 is - just round the corner from me. The new fibre Cab is directly across the road from the old one. I believe they "just" need connecting beneath the road.

Here they are: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5554308,-2.8989045...
Standard User althetog
(newbie) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:44:12
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

"In May 2013, the expected availability of superfast broadband at my cabinet was quoted as 30 September 2013"

Latest info:
"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Cabinet to be enabled between Apr-16 and Mar-17. Date to be confirmed once the survey is complete.."
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:49:31
Print Post

the grey marker on the when and where pages usually indicates to exchange location.
Standard User PaulKirby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:56:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by althetog:
"In May 2013, the expected availability of superfast broadband at my cabinet was quoted as 30 September 2013"

Latest info:
Well your exchange is down as being upgraded on Feb 2014, it seems that they are currently doing cabinets 3 and 7 as part of the FTTC Commercial Project.

Cabinet 6 is as far as I can see also part of the FTTC Commercial Project, but it might be completed once the other two are completed.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to