General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FredTheB
(member) Sat 19-Sep-15 22:29:29
Print Post

Silver Lock?

[link to this post]

So my cabinet has got fibre blown into and commissioning is taking place as we speak. I had noticed on the other cab in my village, it had a green sort of square closing the FTTC cabinet, and now since it has been enable, the square has been replaced with a silver lock. When my cab has this, will this mean I'll be ready to order fibre? Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred The B

Connection = 2mbps
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Sep-15 09:56:16
Print Post

Re: Silver Lock?

[re: FredTheB] [link to this post]

Sometime soon after..... Probably. Depend if it passes the commissioning checks.

Edited by Ribble (Sun 20-Sep-15 11:36:44)

Standard User SCollins
(learned) Sun 20-Sep-15 11:30:40
Print Post

Yes it means you'll get it very soon!

Our cab's lock was fitted on Thursday and the checker showed fibre available today! So 4 days after the lock, I could order!

I just setup a 15 minute web check and got an email this morning at 10:15 saying it was available and had ordered the upgrade by 10:30 smile

Very happy me!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 20-Sep-15 14:59:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by FredTheB:
So my cabinet has got fibre blown into and commissioning is taking place as we speak. I had noticed on the other cab in my village, it had a green sort of square closing the FTTC cabinet, and now since it has been enable, the square has been replaced with a silver lock. When my cab has this, will this mean I'll be ready to order fibre? Thanks

I wouldn't take that as gospel. my new cab was ready for service the same day the guy was putting the ports in it (I was chatting to him at the time) and that has always been green.
Standard User bewA
(learned) Mon 21-Sep-15 11:46:38
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

What seems to have been the case with my area which has around 10 cabinets activated so far it was normally around a week between that and the BTO Checker showing a fibre speed.
Mine had a silver lock put on last Tuesday so i'm hoping some time tomorrow it will be updated so i can place an order.

But i have seen cabinets in other areas that that are accepting orders and don't have a silver lock.
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Mon 21-Sep-15 22:20:16
Print Post

[re: bewA] [link to this post]

Superfaststaffs announced my cabinet was active end of last week, unfortunately I wasn't able to order, BT just responded that "Computer says no" codelook and dsl.checker both show no FTTC available but this thread caused me to have a look at the cabinet tonight and it does indeed now have a silver lock so I'm hopeful.

On an aside my cabinet wasn't on the list published this week by MrSaffron so I'm assuming at the moment that superfaststaffs were a bit premature in their announcement.
Standard User solchain
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 09:23:59
Print Post

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

The strangest things can happen, on mine the locks changed, a week later I could order, but after I ordered it they told me there would be a delay and rescheduled the activation, heard no more until it was finally activated, think it was 18days from being able to order and activation, no idea what happened, talktalk did say something to do with an engineer and the exchange, but they were the foreign call center so couldn't didn't have much confidence they knew what was going on.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Sep-15 11:30:52
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by solchain:
The strangest things can happen, on mine the locks changed, a week later I could order, but after I ordered it they told me there would be a delay and rescheduled the activation, heard no more until it was finally activated, think it was 18days from being able to order and activation, no idea what happened, talktalk did say something to do with an engineer and the exchange, but they were the foreign call center so couldn't didn't have much confidence they knew what was going on.

There are two different stages to a service provider being able to offer FTTC service.

The cabinet has to be activated. At this point, Openreach will accept wholesale orders.

Whoever the service provider uses for backhaul has to have Cablelink(s) installed at the handover node to connect the Openreach FTTx network to their backhaul network. BT Wholesale order these Cablelink(s) to be put in place when the cabinets are first activated, but the other backhaul networks can lag behind the activation.

TalkTalk use their own backhaul rather than BT Wholesale. The likelihood is that the Cablelink to the TalkTalk network wasn't in place when you first tried to order.

Standard User solchain
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 12:59:47
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

thats really interesting, my cab was one of the 1st to go live on the exchange, and i ordered it within 10 minutes of it appearing on the adsl checker so would make sense - I did wonder smile
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 22-Sep-15 17:56:48
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Sometime soon after..... Probably. Depend if it passes the commissioning checks.
I thought the padlock got put on as soon as some hardware was installed, granted this can lead to being completed, but we have had a new PCP (new style) sitting next to our very old style PCP cabinet nearly a year now and we have no padlock in the middle.

Maybe its different for fibre cabinets than the phone cabinets.

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to