General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richowen
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 15:27:15
Print Post

What am I getting!?

[link to this post]

Hi, my local exchange (WNTW) is "comming soon" for fttc, all other cabinets on the exchange for "fttc planned" except for my cabinet (7) which is "fttp planned" we had engineers installing fiber cables along the poles a month or so ago but nothing has happened since and I cant find any info about a fttp/fttrn trial or roll out for my cabinet. Since this seems to be quite an unusual fiber deployment I am very curious to find out anything more about it. As you know contacting openreach is impossible now and talktalk dont want to be bothered with it, so if anyone can tell me anything more I'd appreciate it.

Cabinet 7

Exchange info

Pole Wiring

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Sep-15 15:59:12
Print Post

Re: What am I getting!?

[re: richowen] [link to this post]

No trials, native WBC FTTP is a live and active product. The fact you already have the manifold in place is actually doing better than some commercial areas where they are still waiting for these to appear. Note: The black tubing does not contain fibre by default, you need to spot small teams with a compressor blowing the fibre down the various lengths of tubing and splicing it together, i.e. usually under a little tent to keep the fibre clean.

Generally FTTC tends to go live first as you can cover a lot of premises with less effort, so it is a case of keeping an eye on checkers. In some areas FTTP in a cabinet area goes live for some premises with others being added over time, i.e. there is a lot of variation in the time scales.

TalkTalk DO NOT sell FTTP over the Openreach network, so you will never get any info from them. http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local should start talking about FTTP available to you once it has been spotted as actually live.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User solchain
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 16:24:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is there a reason why only one cab would get fttp?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User richowen
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 16:58:31
Print Post

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for more work and keep checking the checkers laugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Sep-15 16:58:50
Print Post

[re: solchain] [link to this post]

Luck, maybe has business cluster on it or spread favours p versus c not in a position to look at a map to judge, maybe later.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User richowen
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 17:23:36
Print Post

we are in a pretty rural area, seem to be the furthest out cab on the exchange
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Tue 22-Sep-15 17:53:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
No trials, native WBC FTTP is a live and active product. The fact you already have the manifold in place is actually doing better than some commercial areas where they are still waiting for these to appear. Note: The black tubing does not contain fibre by default, you need to spot small teams with a compressor blowing the fibre down the various lengths of tubing and splicing it together, i.e. usually under a little tent to keep the fibre clean.
Well we are in a Commercial area and are commercially viable for FTTP (as you already know) and have had all the manifold up our pole since end of 2011 when they started the first 66% fibre rollout.

This year after getting my MP involved throughout July they replaced all the fibre cables used to daisy chain between the Fibre DP's (probably to look busy, was also told there was nothing wrong with the cables and that it was already all done and had been since 2011) and the end of July those new fibres was spliced into all of our Fibre DP's and still no fibre apart from one home, so just because the manifold is all there and also spliced fibre doesn't mean its going to happen anytime soon.

Especially if in a commercial area.
I am not saying that people won't get it, just prepare for a very long wait and possibly get ready to be done in the last 10% of the roll out, and that's if your lucky.

This is what happens when BT bites off more contracts than what they can handle.

Paul
Standard User MacLe0d
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 18:05:08
Print Post

[re: richowen] [link to this post]

I think I'm in the some boat as you

2 out of the 3 cabinets on my exchange (LCPIL) have been enabled for FTTC however mine Cabinet 2 has yet to be upgraded according to codelock FTTP is planned for my area it was saying BDUK Lancs Phase 13b up until a while ago. The fact that is has been removed makes me think that superfast lancashire will fail to finish the work by the end of the year after all end of 2015 was the target for 97% coverage.

Behined one of the telpehone poles you can see some cable market FTTP Brown. Some of the oples are also marked with painted numbers and letters i.e 2A. There are markings on the road saying BT with an arrow. The fact that my road is not on the route from the exchange to the cabinet all points to FTTP.

But work did beging in Nov 14 around the existing cabinet with a new BT manhole cover in place directly oppsite the existing cabinet ( 3 or so feet away).

Checking the local roadworks site indicates BT doing a fair bit of clearing blocked ducts, along with laying a 3Km cable at the end of the year to an outlying part of the village which codelock also indicate are served by the same cabinet.

And yes there are a lot of buisness in my part of the village.

It's just frustrating to still be stuck in the slow lane on ASDLMax.

And Superfast Lancashire shut there offices earlier in the year. What's more frustrating is that oR when and where says my area is under review. Yet I've seen NGA vans down my street, working with the manoles that are next to telephone posts, a new manhole around by existing cabinet etc.. So which do i belive the when and where site or my eyes when I see NGA vans doing work.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Sep-15 19:28:18
Print Post

[re: MacLe0d] [link to this post]

With regards WNTW only a couple of postcodes would be within range for superfast from FTTC, so means FTTP is more likely.

So not a surprise to get FTTP, but just as likely for them to have done nothing too, so you are lucky, annoying if it means waiting a while, but would normally have warned a wait till after 2017 otherwise based on the layout of the area.

Standard User richowen
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-15 21:56:19
Print Post

alright, thanks for the info, fingers crossed it doesnt take 2 years lol
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to