General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-15 11:05:40
Print Post

What the hell just happened??

[link to this post]

Hi all

Just had an email to say my router had lost connection to net. Connected to router from work to find that my line stats just took a serious nose dive upon re connection! They are now:

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1 6.0
Attenuation (dB) 28.3 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 12.6 6.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 32109 8534
Rate (Kbps) 31212 8519

Whereas for the last 2 months, they have been rock solid - connected at around 66Mbps with att of 19.4 and 17Mbps up. They are now roughly half of what they were.

What could have caused my line to disconnect and to reconnect at such a low rate? A router re-start hasn't solved the issue.

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
My speedtest result
My BQM
Standard User WelshWArrior
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Sep-15 14:26:24
Print Post

Re: What the hell just happened??

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

Forget the above. I turned modem off for 30mins at lunchtime and reconnected and hey presto - all back to normal. I say 'normal' - att has actually dropped to 18db and speed now sync'd at 68Mbps smile

-------------------------------------------
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
My speedtest result
My BQM
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Sep-15 18:25:42
Print Post

Re: What the hell just happened??

[re: WelshWArrior] [link to this post]

If engineers are performing a network rearrangement of some sort, or a replacement of a segment of D-side cable, some funny things can happen to the wiring while things are in progress ...

Generally, they take care to keep some form of connection present, so the ability to make calls is retained. They don't normally just cut through a connection; they normally add a temporary bypass that works while the real change is put in place.

You could imagine that a temporary cable might be a bit longer than absolutely necessary. Keeping calls running is more important than broadband, and the length isn't really significant there.

So ... if a re-arrangement happened, then you would expect to see
a) An end-result that shows an improvement over the initial
b) Something funny inbetween. Perhaps triggering resyncs.

Your observations fit this. Whether this happened, or not, is a totally different matter!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to