General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-15 20:51:24
Print Post

Engineer install - Worth it?

[link to this post]

So FTTC is now available to order at my cabinet (Wheaton Aston - Cab 1)

When I go through the order process (trying to order Infinity 2) I'm asked if I want an engineer or self install, I was under the impression that 80mbps always required an engineer install.

My current line stats are here

Here's the results of dslchecker.bt.com

I have a BT80a junction box which connects to my drop cable and then that is connected to an NTE5A + MkIII VDSL faceplate with about 3m of solid copper Cat5 cable (using only 1 pair) There are no other sockets connected at all.

The original BT Master socket is next to the BT80a junction box and when connected wth 3 inchs of phone cable there's no difference in line stats (I needed to move the master socket as there's no power anywhere near the original)

I can easily restore the original configuration and let the engineer "move" my master socket which was my original plan but I'm not sure there's really any point so thought I'd ask for some guidance on here.

Over to you folks..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Sep-15 21:01:30
Print Post

Re: Engineer install - Worth it?

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

So long as the original BT master is not wired in the line in a star configuration there should be no problems.

With no extensions and a faceplate filter already a self install should be fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Wed 23-Sep-15 21:15:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No there's no extensions wired in at all, I disconnected them all. They were everywhere in the house when we moved in. Off the top of my head I think there was 8!

Personally I can't really see the need for them nowadays with the cordless phones available.

Thanks very much for reassuring me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User troublegum
(regular) Thu 24-Sep-15 18:53:25
Print Post

Also make sure you have a modern-ish dropwire. The older obsolete ones can cause problems and are meant to be replaced as part of an engineer install.
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Fri 25-Sep-15 00:52:37
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Any hints on how to identify what sort of dropwire is classed as obsolete?

Here's a pic of my dropwire
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Sep-15 00:59:23
Print Post

When you say you disconnected them, where did you disconnect?

At each extension, or where they were fed from? Were they all fed from one place, or daisy-chained?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Fri 25-Sep-15 01:47:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

From the BT80a originally there was an old master socket connected. I disconnected this and all the extensions were wired into this.

I then used solid copper Cat5 to connect a new NTE5A master socket to the BT80a. There are no extensions connected at all anymore.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Sep-15 02:04:38
Print Post

Sounds good.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Sep-15 08:58:41
Print Post

Your linked photo shows a dropwire no.10 terminating in a BT80. This dropwire will be fine.

Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Fri 25-Sep-15 10:01:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for the help, have ordered Infinity 2 with no engineer install. Activation in about 10 days.

Just out of curiosity, at my last house when I ordered Infinity (Was one of the first in the country to get it) the OR engineer replaced my very old master socket. What happens if people have an old style master socket and don't ask for an engineer visit? Do they just get a microfilter to plug in?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to