General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User McShaneDCFC
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-15 13:45:48
Print Post

Will i ever get FTTC/FTTP?

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone can help me out here, I am currently on the Dunloy exchange (NI). The exchange was recently upgraded from ADSL to FTTC.

Unfortunately the entire village seems to have exchange only lines (about 400ish homes). When Openreach were doing work in the village in March they only installed one cabinet, and this is actually around one mile outside of the village! This cabinet is now accepting orders for 21 homes only.

The NI broadband improvement project states that work in my area is due to end next week, but it seems that none of the houses in the village will be able to order fibre or even adsl2 as we are all on exchange only lines and no cabinets have been installed.

Is there anywhere that i can find out if there are any plans for cabinets to be installed?
Are we destined to have adsl for ever?
Is there any chance that we might get FTTP? smile
What was the point in upgrading the exchange and not installing any cabinets?
Why are openreach allowed to keep everyone in the dark?

Thanks in advance smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Sep-15 15:05:27
Print Post

Re: Will i ever get FTTC/FTTP?

[re: McShaneDCFC] [link to this post]

The NI roll-out has been one of many stages, the cab 1 on that exchange while giving superfast to a limited number looks to be more benefit from lifting postcodes like BT44 9EJ above the 2 Mbps USC baseline speeds.

Cannot give any real hope other than to say we've seen the project leave areas and then cabinets appear in the future. In terms of FTTP very little used so far in Northern Ireland and given the concentration of premises I'd say FTTC looks more likely.

Time to do something collectively to apply pressure to the MP for some clarity on future plans. Even bringing just ADSL2+ to the exchange would help the EO lines, but I suspect that cabinet 1 has its fibre supplied from another exchange either Ballymoney or Ballymena.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User McShaneDCFC
(newbie) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:30:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thought I would resurrect this old thread as the openreach checker has finally moved from exploring solutions to "In Scope" smile

The checker currently says "You're in a plan to get Superfast fibre but we haven't started work yet. It'll be built either as part of our fibre programme or through a partnership with your local authority."

Interestingly, one of the other premises in the village has this when entered to the checker,

"Your area is currently in our plans to be upgraded with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), however we follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. When you are able to place orders you will see the Accepting Orders message. In some instances our FTTP plans change. If this happens you will move though the journey stages normally."

It seems strange that only one building is going to get FTTP, is this normal or is it likely a mistake?

Or will the entire village get fttp? laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Dec-16 11:36:32
Print Post

When you say it is only one that gets that result have you checked everyone on the checker. If you have checked everyone then it is probably a mistake - if you haven't then it may well be there are others and understanding how many and where they are may give an inking in to why.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Dec-16 12:59:35
Print Post

Not unheard of for one postcode to get FTTP and the rest FTTC, often a business or other reason why the difference (commonly distance from the cabinet)

All you can say at present is something seems to be happening, but what will only be known in time.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to