General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User QuantumParticle
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-15 16:34:19
Print Post

What does the installation engineer actually do?

[link to this post]

I am going with an ISP that makes all customers have an engineer installation.
As most people do a self install, I imagine it's just plug the modem in a leave jobby?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Sep-15 17:08:03
Print Post

Re: What does the installation engineer actually do?

[re: QuantumParticle] [link to this post]

It would help if we still knew the ISP, as they can differ even on an engineer install.

In all cases work will be done at the PCP (phone cabinet) to connect your line from the exchange to the FTTC cabinet, and a return connection from that carrying both phone and VDSL2 traffic to the line from the PCP to you.

On an engineer install with Plusnet the engineer will fit a VDSL2 filter plate to your master socket and supply a VDSL2 modem to be sited close to that. They should also test the line works with test equipment and that the modem obtains sync with the FTTC cabinet.

It is up to you to have a (cable type) router and to connect the WAN port on that to the LAN1 port of the modem, using Ethernet cable. The distance between them can be up to 100 metres.

If you don't want such an arrangement, tell us why and what you would prefer. Several of us should be able to advise on your best course of action.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-15 18:04:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi and thanks for reply
The ISP is Uno.net which is re-branded Xilo as far as I can see
(I'm with Xilo at the moment but they are not offering Fibre connections anymore)

I'm not really wanting anything I just wondered what they would do and what I would still have to do.
I have a Billion 7800n which has a wan port. So I have to supply the ethernet cable then?

thanks

Mike

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Sep-15 21:54:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by QuantumParticle:
I have a Billion 7800n which has a wan port. So I have to supply the ethernet cable then?
Normally yes. Are you intending to have the router quite a way away from the modem? If so, how far?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-15 23:03:55
Print Post

about a foot wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Sep-15 23:20:59
Print Post

[chuckle]
Let us know how things go smile. And good luck. FTTC is amazing as long as you don't have huge distance to the cabinet.

(newbie) Thu 24-Sep-15 23:49:08
Print Post

Thanks
I'm about 1.4km from the box so not brilliant but hoping for at least 15mbs !
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Sep-15 00:09:22
Print Post

If you get a BT engineer you should get the best possible. If you get a Kelly's or Quinn's then we may need to help you, though with your simple setup even they would be had put to screw up.

Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 25-Sep-15 08:52:17
Print Post

I'm about 1.5-1.7km cable length from the cabinet and get around 21mbit down, 1.5mbit up, with 13ms ping. It's been stable since I was connected back in July - I too was worried I would see less than 15mbit. smile

I'm with Plusnet but had my own ADSL/VDSL router, so once he had connected me at the cabinet to FTTC I reset my router and connected before the engineer arrived at my door! He just ran a few checks, left me an openreach modem and left. laugh

Edited by slimj (Fri 25-Sep-15 08:54:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Sep-15 09:13:04
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

1375m, 19 Mbps usually but has crept up to 23.999 Mbps now and then

Second line seems cemented to a 19 Mbps speed though.

Given what some say you need for home working etc its amazing I get anything done on tbb smile

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to