General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Reado
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-15 15:06:12
Print Post

EO Line Query

[link to this post]

RE: [removed number on Mold Exchange]

According to the dslchecker.bt.com site, this is an EO line. The Exchange building is directly opposite our building, literally a stones throw.

Does anyone know what is being done about EO lines and fibre broadband?

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 25-Sep-15 17:55:48)

Standard User CHBMB
(regular) Fri 25-Sep-15 15:47:41
Print Post

Re: EO Line Query

[re: Reado] [link to this post]

Some are being moved to a cabinet, Some are not..

I found https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=2... useful for ascertaining what was happening with my EO line. (Was moved to a cabinet and FTTC available now)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Sep-15 18:04:12
Print Post

[re: CHBMB] [link to this post]

From a peek at the area, I'd suggest you are likely to remain EO for some time. Flintshire is doing better than most parts of Wales, so the pressure is on to do the really rural parts of Powys and Carmarthenshire currently.

Plenty of Exchange Only areas do get improvements, either a new cabinet to serve a big cluster, or and this might just happen to you, a rearrangement to send your line via a nearby existing cabinet that has a fibre twin.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Reado
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-15 09:04:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Openreach say we're connected to a DP like this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1669706,-3.1407151...

When we first took ownership of our new premises, the dslchecker.bt.com site said our address was connected to P29 which was FTTC enabled. Openreach came out to do the install and said we were on an EO line. At this point our address was updated on the dslchecker website.

Since then we've spoken to another engineer who was kind enough to show us the blue-prints of the area which shows how the cables are routed. He suggested a network rearrangement but suggested a network rearrangement.

How does one go about getting a network rearrangement?

Alternatively AB Internet offer a wireless service up to 1Gbit in the area, only 1KM away, but doesn't that have to be line of sight?
Standard User Reado
(newbie) Tue 13-Oct-15 14:49:48
Print Post

According to the DSL Checker page, properties on High Street (literally round the corner) have EO lines and FTTP (330 down, 30 up).

So why is it we have an EO line and ADSL2+ only but they also have an EO line and FTTP?

I did some more digging; on the outskirts of the town, some properties are connected to a cabinet but only have the option for FTTP - there is no option for FTTC. Is that a typo or can you have situations where FTTP is only available even if you're connected to a enabled cabinet?

Edited by Reado (Tue 13-Oct-15 14:50:41)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-15 14:54:08
Print Post

In most instances where FTTP is available FTTC is not. That is because FTTP is the better technology but available with the same packages as FTTC for the same price - there is no benefit to an end user to get FTTC instead of FTTP.

Don't forget that FTTP is not the same as FTTPoD (FTTPoD did require FTTC available and indeed could not be ordered if you couldn't get FTTC).

EO lines will get FTTP if BT decides that it is economic to do so. Some EO lines are turned into cabinet based lines in order to deliver the cheaper FTTC if the physics and economics allow. You may end up with either of these solutions or in the short term neither.

EDITED : To clarify as per RobertoS post

Edited by ian72 (Tue 13-Oct-15 16:28:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-15 15:03:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Reado:
I did some more digging; on the outskirts of the town, some properties are connected to a cabinet but only have the option for FTTP - there is no option for FTTC. Is that a typo or can you have situations where FTTP is only available even if you're connected to a enabled cabinet?
If the phone line is connected to an FTTC enabled PCP, (phone cabinet), that has an FTTC cabinet nearby that merges the FTTC feed with the phone circuit and return the result to the phone cabinet for onward connection to the premises.

If the phone line is connected to an FTTP enabled PCP, the PCP plays no part in the fibre provision. The fibre is fed direct to the premises from an underground chamber. (Aggregation point). It's all sorted out at the premises.

Then there is FTTPoD, (FTTP on Demand). This was available from some FTTC-enabled cabinets, and may still show as such. Provision/Sales are on hold while cheaper ways of doing it are researched. When that was provided the method was basically as per FTTP, but the civil engineering works involved become directly chargeable to customers. Way outside normal domestic costs.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-15 15:08:55
Print Post

Re: EO Line Query *DELETED*

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-15 16:29:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have changed one word to clarify.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-15 17:25:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

smile.

Mine deleted.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to