General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bytte
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-15 18:52:08
Print Post

Cease fee

[link to this post]

Last month I migrated from old-school phone and broadband from Plusnet to Infinity 1 FTTP from BT. Plusnet have been charged a cease fee by BT Wholesale which they have passes on to me. Also the cease date on the broadband advised by BTW is a week after the switch - again Plusnet say they have been billed by BTW so I have to pay.

How do I get this sorted?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Sep-15 20:41:46
Print Post

Re: Cease fee

[re: Bytte] [link to this post]

Not 100% sure on rules Ofcom as left FTTP out of its recent migration revamp. So its possible a cease was raised. Though would have expected Bt wholesale to not raise the cease as was to their fttp product

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Sep-15 20:52:41
Print Post

Has your phone also gone FTTP or is that still using the copper?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bytte
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-15 21:42:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The phone is also on FTTP
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Sep-15 21:49:08
Print Post

I'm just theorising now, and let's see what anyone else thinks.

That might (probably wrongly) have caused it. If they ported the phone first, (before they "migrated" the broadband), then that would cease the Plusnet broadband immediately. Hence the broadband cease fee. Then whatever process is required to get the FTTP up followed on as a straight provide.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 25-Sep-15 22:13:51
Print Post

Where you still in any kin of contract?

See:

http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing...

which says:

Cessation charges don't apply if:

You switch to a service that's part of the BT Wholesale network
You're a customer without a contract on any of the following products:
Plusnet Essentials
Unlimited
Unlimited Fibre
Unlimited Fibre Extra

Michael Chare
Standard User Bytte
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-15 23:23:03
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I was on Plusnet Essentials. I was certainly a customer, but I don't understand their term 'without a contract' - I was outside the initial term of the contract having been with them for many years - I was only switching because BT had just completed installing FTTP in our village and Plusnet weren't offering an upgrade path.
Standard User Bytte
(newbie) Fri 25-Sep-15 23:35:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm just theorising now, and let's see what anyone else thinks.

That might (probably wrongly) have caused it. If they ported the phone first, (before they "migrated" the broadband), then that would cease the Plusnet broadband immediately. Hence the broadband cease fee. Then whatever process is required to get the FTTP up followed on as a straight provide.

It all happened in one visit. The phone was working first. The broadband didn't work (apparently because the build on the server was wrong - according to the Openreach engineer), and it was another 30 mins before BTW got the build correct.

None of this explains why the BTW cease date is a week after the change (the phone cease date is correct having been notified by BT to Plusnet in advance).
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 26-Sep-15 00:11:03
Print Post

If you have past the end of your contract then you should not have to pay the cessation charge.

Typically I would renew my Plusnet contract each year in order to get a better price or may be a new router. When I knew I was going to leave I did not renew my contract and was thus able to leave (not migrate in anyway) without paying the cessation charge. I am now a Gigaclear FTTP customer.

Michael Chare
Standard User Bytte
(newbie) Sat 26-Sep-15 00:54:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Problem is BTW has billed Plusnet who are passing the charge on to me. I'm trying to work out whether BTW have made a mistake about the cease charge (they certainly have the date wrong) and how to get it corrected.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to