General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 07:46:11
Print Post

Inside a cab - is this right?

[link to this post]

Cab 209 on Winwick Park, Warrington according to the checker had gone live with FTTC and allowed people to order. However there was no FTTC cab and it had been a mistake by Openreach.

Loads of people have been left without even a phone line because of the error. Someone managed to take a pic of inside the phone cab when an engineer was looking at it, is this right?

http://anything.agency/temp/10639387_101536474706789...

Is this really what they look like inside?

The people affected are getting all sorts of mixed messages, some have been told they will have FTTC by end of September, but without an FTTC cab that isn't going to be possible is it? The area was a TPON network so in a small space has 5 cabs, one up the road does have FTTC (208) so I was wondering if they plan on moving everyone on 209 to 208, does that happen?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 26-Sep-15 09:43:27
Print Post

Re: Inside a cab - is this right?

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Not sure why people have been left without a phone line, since missing FTTC should not affect that.

What might affect people is a messy reshell. It looks as if the old shell was removed and the block hanging frame was lost and a temporary lash up in place.

Winwick is a bit of a mess and it may be some copper rearrangement is also underway. If there are people who have lost voice totally then given details will chase up.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Sep-15 11:37:16
Print Post

Sorry but LMAO... what a mess..

I agree with Andrew, looks like a re-shell gone wrong or not finished...

I would expect that if there is another cab in close proximity that they might consider bringing the lines from that one to this one and install new termination block boards.

The FTTC availability sounds like a datebase mistake though I would say its in the early stages of being installed.

I'm not surprised that people have lost there phone if thats been the end result of a reshell, Openreach going to be busy fixing that I'm sure.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:38:07
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Thanks both.

People who ordered were switching phone line as well from SKY to BT, its those who have lost there line.

Everyone is hearing mixed things, some have been told they should have FTTC by end of the months others they have to wait for FTTC cab to be installed next to 209.

The estate used to be a TPON setup e.g. grey cabs and these were changed to standard green cabs about 12 months ago.

Edited by kingbiscit (Sat 26-Sep-15 12:39:03)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:39:09
Print Post

My money is on the old cabinet being run over cos there is no mounting column for the Quante strips. You would never take off the mounting column if you were just reshelling.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:52:09
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Based on the original setup being TPON it wasn't just a re-shelling it seems

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Sep-15 12:57:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by kingbiscit:
Thanks both.

People who ordered were switching phone line as well from SKY to BT, its those who have lost there line.

Everyone is hearing mixed things, some have been told they should have FTTC by end of the months others they have to wait for FTTC cab to be installed next to 209.

The estate used to be a TPON setup e.g. grey cabs and these were changed to standard green cabs about 12 months ago.

Oh right so it seems that the loss of service on this persons line was due to Sky terminating the service before BT taking the line back to there equipment at the exchange possibly..

Based on the seemingly small amount of lines in the cab pictured and assuming the other is the same, I would expect that openreach may reroute the line from one of the cabs to the other and then they will progress the installation of a Fibre DSLAM (Cab) or they will install the fibre cab between the two PCP's and link them both to one Fibre cab but that might not be allowed.

Either way, if no fibre cabinet stands anywhere near either cab yet then I wouldn't get any hopes up for fibre enablement before then end of the month... maybe the end of the year if lucky enough, but sounds like a lot of work to be done yet.

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 13:05:04
Print Post

The cab down the road 208 has also been changed to green cab from grey TPON and has an FTTC cab live next to it.

I was wondering if 209 might be rerouted to 208.

You can see how crazy the Winwick Park setup is here:

http://anything.agency/temp/winwick-park-map.png

122 - still old style TPON cab, no FTTC cab
124 - green cab with live FTTC cab
208 - green cab with live FTTC cab
209 - just green cab
210 - green cab with FTTC cab - meant to be going live next week or so
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Sep-15 13:14:15
Print Post

Ahhh Right smile

So yes 'maybe' Openreach will be re-routing lines to 209 then... it would make sense to do that rather than installing fibre twin, cab and power instead of just a length 100 pair copper.

Can I ask what exchange you are on please, I will try and get a few extra details about 209?

Standard User kingbiscit
(member) Sat 26-Sep-15 13:17:33
Print Post

We are on Warrington exchange. I'm cab 210 so any info on when that might go live would also be much appreciated.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to