General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 13:09:19
Print Post

GigaClear stepping in to rural FTTP ?

[link to this post]

I was just reading this interview over at http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/mini-in...

There was a couple of things that came as a surprise to me. The main one being that companies like GigaClear and Hyperoptic have always kept to new-build properties. So I found it odd and interesting that GigaClear is now branching out to 1. installing in to already built houses, and 2. in rural areas.

I didn't see a section for GigaClear in the ISP's section. But it would be interesting to hear if this is a change for GigaClear's developement plans?

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Sep-15 13:33:59
Print Post

Re: GigaClear stepping in to rural FTTP ?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Gigaclear has never JUST targeted new build properties, in fact most of the coverage I see from them is in areas with pre-existing premises and slow ADSL speeds i.e. villages that meet the commercial requirements that Gigaclear work to.

Even with Hyperoptic while they may do more in new build flats, a good proportion is still retro fit to existing flats.

So no change in Gigaclear policy that I can see, unless there is a specific sentence you feel saying there has been change.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zom22
(member) Tue 13-Oct-15 17:14:04
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

I'm agree with Mr Saffron.
Actually the opposite
GC prefer well established rural villages where there are not going to be lots of new houses.
As their FTTP type architecture is point to point from a central village cabinet - it is more difficult to add in lots of new subscribers later than if it was GPON.

Actually GC staff did tell me at one stage that they don't like new builds as its just a lot of aggro talking to the developers let alone agreeing - they prefer to talk to the owners of established houses with an incentive to get decent broadband from themselves and done properly.
Added to which developers argue over wayleaves/legals for ages- property owners sort this sort of thing out overnight - sign the form job done when can you start installing sort of thing.

Note that GC only install the network at their cost to the property/land front boundary termination point. The cost of getting the fibre from there across the garden to where you want it in the house is at the cost of the householder. this is how they keep things cheap and quick: the difficult bit is paid for by the house owner.

PS I'm on a Gigaclear connection.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Oct-15 17:22:07
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

GC do usually recommend an installer for those not willing/able to do the final fibre drop themselves, and if this is down whilst network roll-out is going on, i.e. firm is in the area it is usually cheaper, thus encouraging higher early take-up

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 13-Oct-15 19:50:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by zom22:
I'm agree with Mr Saffron.
Actually the opposite
GC prefer well established rural villages where there are not going to be lots of new houses.
As their FTTP type architecture is point to point from a central village cabinet - it is more difficult to add in lots of new subscribers later than if it was GPON.
The number of unused fibres in a cable would be a relevant issue

Actually GC staff did tell me at one stage that they don't like new builds as its just a lot of aggro talking to the developers let alone agreeing - they prefer to talk to the owners of established houses with an incentive to get decent broadband from themselves and done properly.
Added to which developers argue over wayleaves/legals for ages- property owners sort this sort of thing out overnight - sign the form job done when can you start installing sort of thing.
A new build estate would be a target for BT. I think GC want to avoid any head on competition with BT as they need a 30% takeup to make the projects economic.
Note that GC only install the network at their cost to the property/land front boundary termination point. The cost of getting the fibre from there across the garden to where you want it in the house is at the cost of the householder. this is how they keep things cheap and quick: the difficult bit is paid for by the house owner.
The cost really depends on how a particular property is connected. Where I live GC suggest that if you want someone to complete a connection you should ask Boxcom. These are the people who joined up the network when the cables had been laid by Wingnut, and I think manage the cabinet hardware. The ones I saw were all ex Gurkhas.

PS I'm on a Gigaclear connection.
Ditto - for the last 5 months

Michael Chare
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-15 19:55:15
Print Post

Actually the opposite
Yup, they are working on Anyho in Northamptonshire at the moment and that is definitely not new build.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 13-Oct-15 19:56:20)

Print Thread

Jump to