General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 21:56:04
Print Post

Openreach are useless at resolving faults

[link to this post]

Some of you may know that since having FTTC installed at the end of May, we've had issues with the connection dropping and erroring a lot.

We have had nine (yes, nine) Openreach engineer visits and the issue remains unresolved. Each engineer comes, they run their tests and eventually they leave saying my line is perfect.

If my line is pefect, why have I never had an uptime of more than four days (it's usually two days maximum although it does sometimes drop multiple times in a day), when I see other lines of similar lengths never dropping at all? Why if I keep being told my Openreach that CRCs indicate a line fault, am I still having over one hundred CRCs a day?

We are about 700-800m from the cabinet (the JDSU figure changes, sometimes it's 700m, sometimes it's 800m). The attenuation is between 21 and 23dB, depending on router.

Multiple emails have been sent to Openreach's CEO and BT Group's CEO and the issue still remains unresolved.

I am posting this here more as a public service announcement, to say that Openreach consider a dropping connection, with errors, "pefect"! Good luck getting faults resolved with those requirements!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 08:38:33
Print Post

Re: Openreach are useless at resolving faults

[re: arobertson545] [link to this post]

I assume through all of this you have tried a different router/modem?
(member) Thu 01-Oct-15 08:40:21
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes four of them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 08:46:25
Print Post

Thought you probably had. Unfortunately finding faults in the network is not easy and with how much we pay it is not profitable to chase them down. Most people aren't particularly good at proper problem solving.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 08:52:49
Print Post

I wouldn't consider a 100-ish CRC's a day a fault ?

I also don't necessarily think that the presence of CRC's always indicate a line fault, it can be due to other factors.

(member) Thu 01-Oct-15 08:58:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I wouldn't consider a 100-ish CRC's a day a fault ?

I also don't necessarily think that the presence of CRC's always indicate a line fault, it can be due to other factors.

Well that's what I thought too but multiple engineers seem to be adamant that they do so I've given up trying to argue with them.

Joe Garner's senior team are involved again. Not that that did anything last time...
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 09:06:31
Print Post

multiple engineers seem to be adamant that they do so I've given up trying to argue with them.

But you do keep reporting a fault.

Have they swapped out the pair all the way back to the cab ? Has a lift and shift to new ties in the cab been done ?

(member) Thu 01-Oct-15 09:08:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Well the fault keeps being re-opened by TalkTalk (CEO tech team) as they want it resolved too.

Pair has been swapped, lift and shift also done.
Standard User PaulKirby
(experienced) Thu 01-Oct-15 10:28:40
Print Post

I might be thinking it could be a line card issue in the exchange, has that been changed yet?

We had loads of disconnections and I mean loads to a point where BT India Support couldn't even do a test between the exchange to our HH4.
We ended up having that replaced and our errors have reduced, we still get the random disconnections and some errors but at least its not as bad.

Line cards in the exchange can go faulty, so it might be worth having that checked.

Paul
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Oct-15 13:07:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The lift and shift the OP says has been done should rule that out.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to