General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TonyGate
(newbie) Fri 02-Oct-15 10:37:39
Print Post

Roadmap for Future Broadband upgrades

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I just wanted to understand what one could expect as the future evolution for Broadband in my area. I am sure there are plenty of others in the same boat.

Background

1) Semi-Rural area - inside M25 but only got FTTC thanks to a BDUK (Kent) project (8 years after ADSL2)
2) Approximately 600-800m from the cabinet - getting a steady 39MB down and 8MB up
3) No FTTP

Now, I am happy with the current situation, especially having endured ADSL at 6MB, but I can already see that 39MB down is going to be sufficient for the next 2-3 years, but with UHD streaming, kids growing up, it will start to be restrictive.

So, the question is, what is the future?

I read about G.Fast, which appears to be the next step, but what incentive is there for BT to install? They aren't going to simply upgrade my speeds, so this would suggest that in order to receive G.Fast speeds, you are going to have to pay more. I am sure I would be happy to pay, if the cost is not excessive, but I presume that they will only install G.Fast if there is sufficient local interest. How will the roll out occur? Towns first, then country? Will there be a second round of BDUK projects in order to fund the expansion? How long will it take?

I am not ungrateful for my current setup, as I know I am luckier than a lot of people. I have also seen big improvements in mobile reception locally, including 4G signals, but I am just curious to know when the next upgrade will be available.

Thoughts?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Oct-15 11:14:32
Print Post

Re: Roadmap for Future Broadband upgrades

[re: TonyGate] [link to this post]

Many questions and too early to give any firm answers as to what BT/Openreach will do, and given political landscape it is possible that Openreach might cease to exist in its current form.

To go out on a limb, probably some incremental upgrades from options like vectoring in the next year or two, e.g. might take you to 45 Mbps from 38 Mbps.

If FoD2 arrives with a decent price point then full FTTH may be affordable i.e. hoping for something in the £500 to £1000 region, but no-one will commit to ball park figures in BT Group.

G.fast will mainly be the commercial 2/3rds foot print live by 2020/2021, after that a lot depends on demand and how the political landscape shifts.

What I can say is for spending public money, if the only real driver is watching UHD TV then the next range of speed upgrades may not offer value for money to the public purse, i.e. once you can do all your e-Government requirements with the connection there is little reason for councils to spend more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Oct-15 11:25:40
Print Post

I read about G.Fast, which appears to be the next step, but what incentive is there for BT to install? They aren't going to simply upgrade my speeds, so this would suggest that in order to receive G.Fast speeds, you are going to have to pay more

The same could have been said about any of the upgrades that have happened since ADSL first started. We have moved from 512Kb to 1Mb to 2Mb to ADSL max to ADSL2+ to FTTC (and for some FTTP).

All of the upgrades over the last 15 years have been in an environment where on average costs have reduced. I used to pay £50 a month for 512Kb and paid £150 for the install. Now I pay much less for 45Mb FTTC. BT have continued to invest in their products over the years and nothing to suggest that won't continue - and arguably they have more competition now and therefore more incentive to keep up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 02-Oct-15 12:43:56
Print Post

New broadband technologies require a significant take up rate to make their installation economically viable. AIUI this has been about 20% for FTTC and 30% for FTTP.

I suspect that you will have to wait some years before enough of your neighbours are willing to pay for faster speeds than you currently get!

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to